PDA

View Full Version : New Fishing Rig question (advice sought)

loganmike
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, it appears blue truck may have reached her last days. That and the Missus pressure to update the rig because of a bun in the oven (safety first).

With that in mind I have narrowed down the search to the F-150 4 door with 6.5 foot bed.

But recently have been thinking about the explorer or expedition as well.

Wanting to get some different opinions. Going to have a new kid. Travel usually with 2 dogs (but can leave it home). When doing a quick trip like to sleep in the back of the car.

So, trying to put together some pros and cons of the explorer/expedition vs the F-150.

Do you have either? What do you like don't like?

Thanks a ton

me

Charlie Gonzales
07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I have had a 4door Chevy for the past couple of years and just got rid of an Explorer. My suggeastion would be the 4door(w/sliding rear window) and a shell. With the sliding rear window, the rods can be carried at full length, rigged and ready. And if you need to haul a load of whatever the shell can be removed. The explorer/expedition is limiting.

ted1
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
The main problem I have had since I switched from a truck to a 4-door 4-runner is keeping it clean. Had to use it for work a few times, took it hunting a few times, and then the dog ruined the rest. The main reason I wish I had my truck back is for the dog. Camper shell is a good idea if you have dogs.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Fred Gordon noticed that with a pickup that has a canopy it is hard to keep all those 3 rear layers of glass clean so you can see out the back, especially in the winter.

He likes an SUV because it has one rear window with wiper and washer on it.

robdog
07-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Just stay away from Jeep. :-& That is the only advise I can give you. Personally, I have a Range Rover

Darrin.Deel
07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Ditch the ford
ditch the chevy
no dodge

I personally think a 03 or newer 4runner would be perfect, since you don't seem to be worried about gas mileage. Rods can be transported at full length with the reels on the dash. (I do this all the time in myne from Chico to Redding)

I own a 4x4 sr5 96, with 171k miles on it, and have had nothing go wrong with it other than clutch and brakes. I tow a drift boat ALOT and it does just fine. Super cabable off road, also.

medfly
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
im with darrin, ditch the ford

toyota trucks and SUV are some of the best on the road, in terms of safety, power, reliability. they will last a long time.

personally, i like the new 4 door tundra. just thought, id head to a dealer and at least check them out.

Mike Churchill
07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
There are, of course, advantages and disadvantages to each.

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. Great vehicle for the family, comfortable, reliable, rugged off road, tows a 20-foot North River fairly well (and smaller stuff really well). Has the advantage of a 3rd row seat that comes out 1/2 at a time, which gives great flexibility on hauling kids and gear. Also plenty long to carry rods fully rigged.

But, the dog can get the interior really messy. (Latest model Sequoia is huge and expensive...)

My dad bought a 4-door Nissan Titan 4wd last fall to pull that North River. It's a great truck, very comfortable, pulls the big boat like a dream (it's rated to pull 9100 pounds but still rides well). It's nice to be able to throw messy stuff in the bed but you can't carry rigged rods (no shell on the truck).

Mumbles
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I drive a '99 POS Nissan Pathfinder with more than 200,000 miles. When I had my dog he was fine in the rear. Enough overhead room for rigging rods intact (up to 10'ers). Nice interior, good view, enough power, rack atop for my pontoon boat. I prefer the seating comfort over my friend's 4 Runner. I'd like a bigger one when this one is done.

Oh, I've also use my POS Pathfinder to tow a few Fords, one Chevy and one Dodge off of boat ramps, riverside launches and mud holes. That has made for some quality ribbing back at base camp!