PDA

View Full Version : Brookie Heaven

Jeff C.
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I went to my favorite alpine valley on Saturday to fish for brookies. Temps were in the mid 70's with a clear sky. There were no bugs flying around during the day so I used a Griffith's gnat and a midge/prince/chironomid dropper with a 3 wt. rod and caught a bunch of 6-8 inch brookies mostly on the dropper. I went back out in the evening for a good mayfly hatch and slayed with a parachute adams getting a rise on just about every cast. Caught more 6-8 inchers with a few bigger ones up to 10 inches. I camped overnight and since I was by myself I made a simple one pot dinner (Dinty Moore, corn and Top Ramen noodles) topped off with a nice pinot. Overnight temps were in the mid 40's so it was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep next to a babbling stream. Quite a nice way to beat the heat. Jeff C.

jayclarkflyfishing
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds like a great way to beat the heat!Nice report.I love those high alpine brookies!!

Scott V
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I was going to try and make it up there Saturday but wound up leaving the mountain around 1 or so. I fished Caples for the first and probably last time. Fishing next to a highway is just not what I am looking for. Caught a couple in the 12" range and some real tiny rainbows also. The main problem with Caples in my opinion is the rainbows are the very weak strain that if you hook and land one they more than likely will not survive, even when hooked perfectly on the lip. I saw plenty of big fishing busting the top but could not get them to eat.

Jeff C.
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah, Caples looked like a zoo when I drove by at 8 a.m. Lots of bankies and all kinds of boats trolling. Even Red Lake would have been a better experience. I ran into 3 people spin fishing the lower part of the meadow during the middle of the day. They didn't have too much success because they weren't too stealthy (standing upright next to the stream). I had the whole place to myself in the evening. Didn't see any beavers like I normally do but they've been busy. They built up the lower dam and there is a lot more ground underwater then a month ago.