PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry picking .....

David Lee
07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
.... or Bass fishing ??

Hmmmmm ..... why not both ?

Hit slough X yesterday w/ Candida - she went for berries , I wanted to try my latest rod (used Sage SP+ 6 wt.) . Made it out in the middle of the day/low tide (BOOOO .....) in the 'tube .

Slough X has not been kind this year - Lee S. and I went out and picked it apart several weeks ago for nada - I was starting to wonder .....

Made it a hundred yards from the launch and has a nice school of sub-legal Stripes start busting all around me - landed one , dropped two more before Mr. and Mrs. dillweed on a skidoo raced up and hosed the peace - they failed to wreck into submerged logs and left , none too soon ....

I'd brought a 7 wt. I line , figured I'd try this rig before Baja (ultralight Pompano/Ladyfish outfit) .... switched to a #4 Whitlock Swimming Sheep Crappie and started tossing onto the bank and QUIETLY snaking the fly into the water as the tide started coming in . While the fly wasn't tied weedless .... it was remarkable how snag-proof a bendback can be . Only ONE snag in countless casts into Rip-Rap/Trees/Brush !!

Then someone flicked the switch -

I would have thought that the fly was a little too dull/natural looking for the murky water (18-24 inches vis.) , but not the case - it was SLAMMED by just about everything in there . Landed 3 LMB to 2 1/2 lbs. , one 7-inch Bluegill that managed to eat the hook , and dropped more than I'd care to relate . Wife was cranky and wanted to leave before dark , so I might have missed the best part of the evening .....

Not too bad for my once-every-3-week fishing trip .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2009, 09:55 AM
David Armocido, Bob Giannoni and I picked and eat some blackberries when we were on Stoney Creek last week. David told us to pull gently on the dark ones and the ones that come off easy are the ripe sweet ones.

We saw lots of wild grapes too.

There are tons of different kinds of berries on the small rivers on the Oregon coast.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Some years back in the fall Joe Shirshac and I filled a large ice chest with small wild grapes on the Klamath River.

Joe and his wife made jelly from them after we returned.

Later that fall Joe and I took his trailer to the Trinity where we had that wild grape jelly on our pancakes in the mornings.

Life is good........

Darian
07-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Bill,.... Have you ever used wild grape jam for a glaze on poultry or ham/pork :question: :question: It's better there than on pancakes. Wild grapes aren't quite ready for pickin' yet.... A good syrup for pancakes can be made from elderberries, too. They're all over the river parkway until fall. :D :D

Life IS good :smirk:

Hairstacker
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey David, sounds like you ended up having a good time. :D I love it when someone flips a switch and the fish get active all at once like that. I also like how at the same time you can often see 'em busting the surface up and down the waterway. Sure gets the adrenaline going trying to take advantage of as much of it as possible before it all ends. Good for you! :)

lee s.
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Yahooooooo!!!! :-) :-) :-) WTG David! ;-)

Phil Synhorst
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
A good syrup for pancakes can be made from elderberries, too.

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!!:razz::razz: Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.
Sorry Darian, I couldn't resist.:)

David.....about time you got had a good outing, too bad you had to pack it up early. I'll be in touch with you soon(I hope).