PDA

View Full Version : Alaska's Mat su valley Silver salmon

Hortuna
07-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Were two weeks away from our departure to AK. Were flying into Anchorage and renting a RV. With the current reports of silvers coming into the Little Su were planning on starting there. So with that being said, were looking for any info that you might be willing to share. Campgrounds, Area's to fish, etc. we'll be up there from Aug,7th - 14th.

Thank you in advance,

Hortuna

\\:D/

pvsprme
07-27-2009, 06:44 AM
July '09 Field & Stream has a good piece on 2 guys who spent a week in the MatSu & Kenai. I lived on the Kenai from '76 to '86 and if it were me I'd look into the Kenai above Skilak Lake up to Quartz Creek and Russian River for 'bows and Dollies or go down to the Ninilchick, Deep Creek or Anchor River for Silvers. The MatSu never impressed for Silvers. There are also some small creeks across Cook Inlet you can get flown into and dropped off for a reasonable price that should be full of Silvers that time. If you have the $ for a guide the lower Kenai should be starting it's 1st silvers. Remember, they're adronomous fish and times can vary. PM me if you want.
Robert

wjorg
07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I just spent a few days and my good friends house on the Litte Su in Houston. No Silvers yet that we saw, but the late Kings were spawning, although fishing for them has been closed b/c of low return. YES, SOME KING FISHING IN AK IS CLOSED ALSO DUE TO NO RETURN. Caught a few Rainbows in the Little Su although my guide buddy in Willow dosent think there are many. They are the color of Sand.

Last year on one of my favorite creeks there I was able to catch every species of Pacific Salmon barring Sockeye(oh well!) while just swinging for trout!!

Where do you plan on driving around?