PDA

View Full Version : Klamath Line Question

Bruce Berman
07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Gonna hit the K in Sept. to try my hand at swinging and greased-lining. Most of my SH experience is with an indicator. I need suggestions for a line that can really get me some distance.

My rod will be a Sage XP, 6 wt., 9 1/2 footer. I usually use the Rio Salmon/Steelhead lines for powering-out my ungodly huge indicators.

Should I stick with this line or is there something else I should consider?

Terry Thomas
07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Bruce,
You have one of the best lines on the market. When I fished that rod I up lined it to the 7wt Rio Steelhead line.
T.

Darian
07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I agree with Terry. If you'd to change up, consider a shooting head system for subsurface fishing. Provides a bit more versatility....

Good luck up there. :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I have fished the Klamath River for many years being a student of old Joe Shirshac.

We like Sept/Oct for swinging flies up there because the water is not too cold yet and the fish remain very active.

I would press that you start fishing really early in the morning to get the best results swinging with a floating line for fall Steelhead.

By the time the sun gets on the water you can add a new sinking 10' Poly/Versi leader with a few feet of 2x tippet.

Take a break from around noon till 3pm and fish again till dark.

I have used a 9' to 10' #8 line single hand fly rod.

Get a few fresh 9' 2x Rio leaders and a matching fresh spool of Rio 2x Powerflex tippet.

You can use just about any #10 nymph on the Klamath with good success.

Be sure to pinch all the barbs at home where you have better light for doing a perfect job.

Jeff Putnam has Steelhead schools in the fall on the Lower American River that you might take before leaving.

We will be up there in late august which is a little early for my normal liking.

**Now I am fishing lighter two handed fly rods for these fall fish.

Bruce Berman
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll put it to good use.

Bill, I did take one of Jeff's steelhead classes a couple of years ago. Met him in your shop. He's a great guy.

Darrin.Deel
07-26-2009, 10:48 PM
the line is fine, buy a few different rio versileaders (different lengths and sink rates)

Use the rio steelhead/salmon in 7wt or SA Steelhead in 7wt also. Those XP's are cannons

wjorg
07-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I use that line to make a custom interchangeable tip system and it worked great last year.

How often are you planning to head up there?

Bruce Berman
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't know how often I'll be doing this. For the past 4 years, I was either in BC or AK this time of year, but with the economy...

If I do well and have a decent time of it, I'll definitely do it again. I'd rather get into a mess of 15 pound silvers or some of those hot BC steelies, but there's nothing wrong with a few adult Klamath steelies and a bunch of pounders thrown in. It's all good.

Of course, I might suck at this without a bobicator crutch.