PDA

View Full Version : East Carson

Hoser41
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Was thinking of trying East Carson next week. Is it easy to get to from Sacto area. Also is fishing better in the day time or evening. Any additonal tips wound be appreciated.

Darian
07-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Hoser,.... Depending on where you are located (in Sacto), you could up Hwy 50 thru Sly Park to Iron mountain Road and follow it to Hwy 88. Take Hwy 88 towards Nevada (becomes hwy 88/89). Turn off on Hwy 89/4 towards Markleeville. The East Carson runs along Hwy 89/4 until it reaches Hang Man's Bridge south of town. The alternative is to go south on Hwy 16 to Hwy 49 to Hwy 88 and follow it to the Hwy 89/4 turnoff. :) Too much traffic on Hwy 88 for me, tho. :mad:

This river gets a lot of pressure at this time of year. Fish at low light (AM/PM). Fish Indian Creek Reservoir or Red Lake during the day. 8)

Good luck :D :D

robdog
07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Hoser,.... Depending on where you are located (in Sacto), you could up Hwy 50 thru Sly Park to Iron mountain Road and follow it to Hwy 88. Take Hwy 88 towards Nevada (becomes hwy 88/89). Turn off on Hwy 89/4 towards Markleeville. The East Carson runs along Hwy 89/4 until it reaches Hang Man's Bridge south of town. The alternative is to go south on Hwy 16 to Hwy 49 to Hwy 88 and follow it to the Hwy 89/4 turnoff. :) Too much traffic on Hwy 88 for me, tho. :mad:

This river gets a lot of pressure at this time of year. Fish at low light (AM/PM). Fish Indian Creek Reservoir or Red Lake during the day. 8)

Good luck :D :D

You can always go up Hwy 50, then go up the Silver Fork Road. Fish the Silver Fork of the AR, then travel up to the East Fork Carson ;)

EricO
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Just got back from the E. Carson today (Jeff C., in answer to your question :o) with Jeff F. The flows are a tad low. Fished decent in the a.m. early. Didn't fish late since we didn't want to hang out for 5 hrs and wait for the evening hatch. Midday=dead.

Nice little yellow stone hatch (16s) and a light cream-colored caddis (14s). Even got a few browns, biggest 11".

Sure is good looking water. Even took a dip.

E.O.

Chris Evison
07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Fished E. Carson about a 10 days ago. Flows are better this year than last and water seems to staying cool thru the day. We fished downriver of Hangmans bridge in the evening. Got some smaller fish on dries (E/C caddis), but biggest fish came on Tims Deadrift crayfish under indicators. We each got one fish about 6lbs to hand and each lost a fish that big (obviously planters). Also got 4 fish 16-19 inches the same way and one was a wild fish. Big fish planted above bridge before June rains and then washed down thru the system. Alot of big fish below bridge! Fish deep and big for the pigs.

During heat of day I like to throw around big dry attractor patterns and hoppers. Pound the river in the heat of the day with these and eventually a big fish will hammer it. At times I'll make 30-50 cast over same water before a fish will hit the big dries.

It is hot so take plenty of water and wet wade. Great swimming in heat of the day- hint take a diving mask with and swim some of the deep holes and long runs to see what you've been missing.

We fished from 5:30pm to 9pm. Take a headlamp or flashlight for walk out.

Hoser41
07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the adivce...couple questions

Wet wade = no waders ?????

Also someone said to park at Indain creek resevoir and walk to the river. Is there a trail marked or just across the airport..

Chris Evison
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, wet wade means no waders. Felt sole boots still a good idea and get some neoprene socks to take up space in your boots.

You can access the river from Indian Creek res. road. The road takes off from 89/4 between Woodfords and Markleeville. From 89/4 the road goes up then drops down to airport. Just before airport the road to the res hangs a dog leg left. Go straight towards runway. Before runway is a dirt road on right that leads down towards the river. Level for a short distance thru tress then drops down to roads end. You neeed 4WD to go to end of road. From small parking lot it is approx 15 min to river, if you park before Heart Attack hill it adds 10-15 min to hike. Once you hit river go up or down. Good fishing both directions.

Hoser41
07-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Think I'm going to park at the bridge and walk up a short distance. Going solo and being a newbie , want to take it slow. Also have a very limited fly selection. Got a few but don't know what they are. 10 dries and 10 nymphs. Think the nymphs are prince copper ???? and pheasant tail...Dries are elk hair caddis and adams parachute. got 2 chernobyl ants that was going to use with a dropper. gonna do A.M. Going to try a early AM to noonish trip. Afternoon soccer for the kids...

PS what's the best way down the river..walking the river band or through the hills down to the river

Darrin.Deel
07-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Yes, wet wade means no waders. Felt sole boots still a good idea and get some neoprene socks to take up space in your boots.

You can access the river from Indian Creek res. road. The road takes off from 89/4 between Woodfords and Markleeville. From 89/4 the road goes up then drops down to airport. Just before airport the road to the res hangs a dog leg left. Go straight towards runway. Before runway is a dirt road on right that leads down towards the river. Level for a short distance thru tress then drops down to roads end. You neeed 4WD to go to end of road. From small parking lot it is approx 15 min to river, if you park before Heart Attack hill it adds 10-15 min to hike. Once you hit river go up or down. Good fishing both directions.

huge fish live down there... watch out for rattlesnakes I saw atleast 4 when I was down there. I got some fish on poxyback golden stones, too.

markem8
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
You can make your way down stream along the river from the bridge. You do need to cross the river from time to time, but at the current flows that is not a problem. I was there on Sunday and it was easy to cross.

Good luck and have fun. I will be there on Thursday so maybe our paths will cross if that is when you are going.

Mark

Hoser41
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Names John, white Tahoe...be there thrusday morning. I'll be the guy there who looks like he doesn't know what thr F@#$K he is doing.

markem8
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Check your PMs.