PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with streamers

Hoser41
07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
New to this sport...I kinda understand the dry fly and the nymph...but what is the story about streamers. How do you fish with them ? Any additional items needed for them. Bigger leader and or tippet.?

Charlie Gonzales
07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Tightline fishing is my favorite for any species, you are in direct connection with whatever fly your using and feel the grab. So with streamers in rivers or streams, either use a full floating line, a sink tip or shooting head system. You are generaly casting down stream (down and accross) and swinging/stripping the fly back.Its very similar to spin fishing. In lakes you may consider full sinking lines, but I know many people who stil choose heads there too. So wether it be trout, steelhead, stripers or smallmouth I prefer streamers. Go for the grab!

JD
07-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Not as simple a question a you might think. Usually the leader is straight tippet, shorter than a nymph or dry rig, and yes often heavier than would be used with either other type of fly. Streamers are fished a myriad of ways but I'd guess quartering downstream casts and letting the fly swing in the current is the most "traditional" method. Floating, sink tips, and sinking lines can be used for streamer fishing.

If you are new to the sport, I'd suggest you work on your dry and nymphing techniques before adding another weapon to the arsenal. But if you need more information, consult Linsenman & Galloup's "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout: New Techniques, Tactics, and Patterns". For a more historical view, you could also consult Bates "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing".

Fats
07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Linesnman and Galloup are both accomplished streamer fishers that learned their chops in Michigan... Fishing streamers is much more common back in that neck of the woods than it is here. It's a good technique to have in your aresnal.

When I'm fishing streamers... I'm attacking structure and presenting the streamer to fish. Think more like a bass fisherman and you'll do ok!

In streams I tend to stick to a floating line but I will go to a sink tip if I need to. It's a blast!

easymends
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Ralph Cutter who is a legend in the Tahoe area and bug guru on the Truckee River and its surroundings has a great article on streamer strategies. Here is a link:

http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/streamer_strategies/