PDA

View Full Version : Today at Dark/Wrights

SHigSpeed
07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, apparently the DFG dropped some trout off in Dark and Wrights this week. Based on the surface action and bite, not so many in Dark, not a bad dump into Wrights. Any at all is good since they were to NOT be planted this year.

Left at 4:30 from SLT, but not before taking this:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Dark/DSCF9825.jpg

This was the first time for me at Dark lake. As far as I can tell the deepest that I kicked over was 10 feet, and the water was warm - 72 F. TONS of mosquitoes! My long sleeves, big hat, buff, and gloves almost kept them at bay, almost... I caught 2 and had a few more hits and misses on brown wiggle leeches. I saw rings on Wrights on the way out, and figured that once around Dark was enough.

Funny sight at Dark: There are cool Summer cottages on the shore here, and, what? WTF?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Dark/DSCF9832.jpg

Check out the solar panels on the trees! Hippies... (not a bad thing mind you!)

Got to Wrights around 7:00 or so to lots of surface action and schools of fish milling about the canoe launch. Again, the water was warm and 72. Caught a couple on leeches before switching over to soft hackles for the kill. I got almost a hit every cast, especially when I tied on a small size 16/18, but for the life of me I couldn't hook up, and barbless wasn't helping. I did manage a couple of dozen on larger size 12/14 soft hackles eventually and was dry by 10:00.

All rainbows this time BTW.

_SHig

Ed Wahl
07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Shig, that first pic's way cool.

If you do some walking up out of Wrights the fish you find will surprise you.

Write yourself a note. "In October pm Ed about Wrights". You'll be glad you did.

Ed

SHigSpeed
07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Shig, that first pic's way cool.

If you do some walking up out of Wrights the fish you find will surprise you.

Write yourself a note. "In October pm Ed about Wrights". You'll be glad you did.

Ed

I may have to take you up on this, though October is Heenan LCT season!

_SHig

Ed Wahl
07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Shig, just put it on your calendar and get back to me.
Trust me.

Ed

Jay
07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Ive had the same results with Dark and Wrights. I just cant find a reason to fish Dark over Wright's anymore unless there are just too many people at Wrights.

Could you tell if they put any browns in wrights?

Was there a good midge hatch at wrights in the am?

SHigSpeed
07-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Ive had the same results with Dark and Wrights. I just cant find a reason to fish Dark over Wright's anymore unless there are just too many people at Wrights.

Could you tell if they put any browns in wrights?

Was there a good midge hatch at wrights in the am?

No browns yet. All 'bows. And yes, tons of midges in the morning.

_SHig

charles
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Glad to here you did so well. I was at Wrights a couple of weeks ago and got nothing. I did have a few hits in the outflow stream. It was o-kay thought because the next week I went to Tahoe and got my brown.

Hey, Ed.
Can I tag along on October? I love that area too.

Charles

SHigSpeed
07-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Glad to here you did so well. I was at Wrights a couple of weeks ago and got nothing. I did have a few hits in the outflow stream. It was o-kay thought because the next week I went to Tahoe and got my brown.

Hey, Ed.
Can I tag along on October? I love that area too.

Charles

I was there (Wrights) before the plant as well and saw a big guy hangin' out in the launch area but couldn't track him down after scrambling to get my tube set up. Only had a half an hour to fish too so I fail. I know there should be a few holdovers in there, but just got planters this time.

I'd trade a skunk at Wrights for your brown any day! :)

_SHig