PDA

View Full Version : Sustainable Population....

Darian
07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
While it's easy to target SoCal metropolitan areas for all of their ills, we should make ourselves aware of initiatives from that area that are innovative, intelligent and timely. :nod:

On a recent fishing trip to San Diego, I ran across an article in the North County Times about the passing of a local politician (mayor of Poway) who proposed a radical, new idea to address rampant development in SoCal. His proposal was to identify the "human carrying capacity" of any area before and after development is begun and after completed. This capacity is calculated by determining the number of people an area can hold; given availability of water, energy and other necessities. Once the carrying capacity is established, a local government or groups of same should use the info to control development and tell state regulators (who routinely encourage over use/commitment of resources; DWR) to "take a hike". The former mayor proposed this concept over 10 years ago. Apparently, his idea is being revisited as a public policy down there by the San Diego Association of Governments. :D

Over on Blanton's BB, there's a post by Dan Bacher about a letter from the Warden's association stating their concerns with enforcement on MLPA's due to the relatively small number of wardens available for those duties, statewide. If you apply the same thinking, as above, to this problem, the number of wardens should be tied to the geographical area to be covered rather than relation to the population of that area. IMHO, why should California have a lesser number of wardens than any state with less space to cover; even with manufactured budget concerns :question:

Anyway, an interesting approach to current growth problems. Surely Sacramento and surrounding areas would benefit from this type of thinking.... :D :D

troutbm
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. This state is way over developed and they just keep building whole communitys where theres not enough water to support em then they cry water shortage and drought year. This is complete garbage. Developers are SCUM ! California is a mess, And this is why in the not to far future i'll take myself and my money and go to live in another state.

Darian
07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure that I intended to bring out that much emotion by posting the message above. I do understand the feeling you have but this guy made his original proposal several years ago and the current governments of SoCal are considering same. That seems to me to be a sign that things are changing; albeit slowly....

Many of the ideas we've expressed on this BB are either being considered or implemented in the cities of SoCal. For example, desalinization and water recycling/storage in underground acquifers. Even tho controversial, we may be seeing the return of nuclear power generation, too. It already exists down there.

Gotta admit, we have our problems in this state but I'm not too sure I'd move out as a result. The biggest issue for me is the exclusionary tactics of the task force implementing MLPA's. When they're done, it won't matter whether there're fish on every rock in the Delta/Pacific, we won't be allowed to fish for 'em. Of course, that won't stop poachers and foreign commercial fisherman. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: