PDA

View Full Version : How do you custom the Outbound?

kingfisher
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I bought a T-14 custom outbound and was wondering at what length I should cut it so that it will fit onto a med fast action or a fast action 9wt rod.....? At what grain? If anyone thanks....

David Lee
07-16-2009, 06:38 AM
I would start with 30-feet of head .

David

paulegan81
07-16-2009, 07:54 AM
every angler has a unique casting stroke.......
so what some one else likes might not work for you.....
I would take the rod and line out to the water and bring along some but section material.... 30# hard mono cast it with the full head for a while...
then if that is to heavy cut 1 foot or less off and nail-knot a new but section on and go again..... if it is still to heavy cut some more off.......
make a lot of cast.... before you cut each time
use a fly like you would normally use.....
I like to use the heaviest line I can through so it will carry the biggest fly in my box......bigger line= bigger fly.....
I do know some people who like to through very tight loops and only use around 300 grains on a 9wt TCR or TCX
when you reach the "right" length for you I would then remove the mono but and install a braided loop on the end
happy casting.....

OceanSunfish
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Don't feel as if you have to get the exact length correct from the get-go before you fish, etc.

Many, including me, have fished entire seasons with a single T-14 or LC head of which we couldn't even tell how long it actually is...... All I know is that it's somewhere inbetween 27 and 30 feet. Now, I could probably tell the difference between and 27' and 30' piece of T-14, but a one foot increment, I doubt I'd even notice.

Bottom line, as a caster, you'll probably make the necessary adjustments in your casting stroke during a full day of fishing/casting before breaking out the scissors.