PDA

View Full Version : Survial Training

Jay Murakoshi
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Well,not quite Survial but I got this wild hair yesterday on "what if"

Since it's been triple digits here in Fresno and a lot of my fishing is done out of panga's in baja, I got this idea to see or find out if or how long I could tread water with a fishing rod in my hand.

I jumped off our diving board (as if I fell out of the boat) with the rod in my hand and once I came back up to the surface, I started practicing treading water. Hey, even though I have surfed most of my life, I'm not the best swimmer. Rotating my legs in a circular motion, I stayed up for a while but my legs started getting tired and my head kept getting closer to going under. Finally, I went to my best swimming stroke - the dog paddle. But it's difficult to dog paddle and hang on to the rod at the same time. I can't imagine what it would be like if you had a big fish on.

Conclusion: go out and buy a PFD see how long it will take to put it on once in the water or make sure my life insurance policy is up to date.

Jay

medfly
07-14-2009, 04:30 PM
ha, interesting topic, thats awesome that you got in the pool and tried it out, but honestly, if you were suddenly in the water in a survival situation, id hope you toss the rod rather than hold onto it if it was hindering you, so... how long did you last?

Tony P
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
ha, interesting topic, thats awesome that you got in the pool and tried it out, but honestly, if you were suddenly in the water in a survival situation, id hope you toss the rod rather than hold onto it if it was hindering you, so... how long did you last?

Jay's dumb enough to act like the captain of a ship & go down with rod in hand! :p

Tony P

Darian
07-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Speaking of PFD's, I have a couple for my boat that're carried in a waist pack on a belt. They could be a viable alternative to others that might be uncomfortable to wear.... :)

I've been a strong swimmer most of my life but probably out of shape for endurance/survival swimming. Guess I need to add another activity to my workouts.... ;)