PDA

View Full Version : BIG DORADO DAY - 30 KiloPlus

Tony Buzolich
07-11-2009, 08:31 PM
THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS THE YELLOWFIN have gone deep for the most part but still can be had by shaking out your entire line and letting it sink straight down. Once all out you strip like heck and bring it all back in and start over. This system has been working well for those who get tired of trying to bring them to the surface.

Today, after getting a load of bait we hit the island for roosters and then headed out to the tuna grounds. Before we could get there we saw a huge explosion on the surface. I asked Ramon what he thought it might be and he didnīt know.

We circled for a while and then spotted several very large dorado in a group. Mui Grandes.
These were all 5 and 6 foot fish. After several casts and rejections I finally connect to the biggestof the bunch. Two or three quick head shakes and a short surge and twenty pound leader leader popped like it was 4X tippet. This was easily a 50 to 60 pound fish.

Latter in the day as we got back to the beach my friends Jim May and Steve Purpura quickly came and got me from my panga to take a look at Jimīs dorado. Pictures will come when I get home, but this fish was huge. His guide, Beto, said Ļīover 30 kiloīsĻ. Thatīs somewhere between 66 and 70plus pounds. And, Steve, Jimīs partner broke off another big one like mine.

Don Voigt, our oldest member here, has really been knocking them too. Not always with a fly rods but he uses that too. Today he got his first wahoo along with four yellowfin. At eighty years old I give him credit for even going out in a bouncing panga.

One more day tomarrow with wind coming up late morning then we head back home Monday. Geez, this week has gone quick.

mems
07-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Aloha Tony, tell Jim congrats for me. That is a huge mahi! Can't wait to see a picture of that beast. Good luck tomorrow, Don.

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Looks like the monsters are in the area. I'm hoping that those biggies will be there in October, right Darian.

Way too go. Sounds like the big dorado are in the La Paz/Cerralvo Isla area. Been reading reports that the Loreto area has been pretty slow this year - so far. Could it be the El Nino that they have been reporting about. I'm watching the track of this thing and it sorta/kinda looks promising but things can change.
We definitely could use the rain here on the West Coast but I'm looking back to the 98, 99, 2000 years when good ole El Nino was in the Baja.

Anyway, Tony I want to see some, no a lot of photo's when you get home

Glad the group had a great time

Jay

Darian
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
WOW!!! Those are some big Mahi. :eek: I'm hoping to get a chance to xexrcise the Sigler, 12 weight this time. October, here we come.... :D :D :D