PDA

View Full Version : Good Book ?

Hoser41
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
What is a good book on fly fishing that can help a beginner. Maybe give me some insight into different types of fly fishing and when to use say a streamer opposed to a dry fly ...

Phil Synhorst
07-08-2009, 02:17 PM
A great beginners book....well, more like a short story, is the Curtis Creek Manifesto.

The same question was posed about 6 months ago, I'll see if I can find the thread and attach it. Although, may not need to. There are a whole bunch of people here that had great ideas, and will probably chime in again.

Fair warning, start putting up book shelves now.:lol::lol:

JD
07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
What is a good book on fly fishing that can help a beginner. Maybe give me some insight into different types of fly fishing and when to use say a streamer opposed to a dry fly ...

Oddly enough, the best book I've found is the L.L. Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook by Dave Whitlock. Don't let the title turn you away, this really is a very good text. Another favorite is Tom Rosenbauer's The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide. Both of these have recent new editions, but even the older editions are priceless for the beginner.

Bill Markwood
07-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I think that a fly fisher would benefit from reading anything writen by either Dave Hughes or Larry Tullis regardless of experience level.

troutbm
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
As an avid reader of various types of publications I personally find say a short story by John Geriach much more informative then say a technical heres how to do it type of book. Then theres books on trout biology, stream hydrology, and of course entomology, Learn that stuff, It will make you a better angler in the long run in my opinion.

Troutstalker55B
07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Curtis creek is a must. "Stalking Western Trout" by Neale Streaks is a great book, It will take any angler to the next level and beyond.

JB

Dabalone
07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Hoser, are you interested in just trout? Streams, rivers, or stillwater? Flyfishing technique and gear varies not only with different species but also with say creek, stream, river and lake fishing. Where will you be chasing your target fish? Little extra info can help steer you to the correct info.

Hoser41
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
MAinly stream and river fishing..stuff I can wade into guess. What qwe have around here is trout and steelhead...maybe salmon as well. Looking more about the how to's.

Charlie Gonzales
07-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I like the LLBean/whitlock book also, and I like Mels videos. Hoser you should go into Bills and check out the rental videos and book selection.

aaron
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
'Instinctive Fly Fishing' by one of the Streaks bros (can't remember if it's Neil or Taylor) is a great book. Covers all the fundamentals and also progresses to some more advanced stuff for when you are ready for that kind of thing. I know Bill has a copy in the shop.

gryhackl
07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Here's another vote for Curtis Creek. Fly fishing for trout 101!

rtb215
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Another vote for Curtis Creek Manifesto, and after that one I would recommend "Fish Food" by Ralph Cutter.

rtb

Dean Y.
08-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a fellow newb who hasn't purchased my fly rig yet :D. The other day I stopped in at Kiene's (about the 2nd or 3rd time) and bought the LLBean book. So far I'm very happy with this title. Good overview of the equipment, technique, problems w/casting, and more. I'm hoping this book (and probably others), some lessons, this board, and of course Kiene's will get me headed in the right direction.

I like the LLBean/whitlock book also, and I like Mels videos. Hoser you should go into Bills and check out the rental videos and book selection.

Black Cloud
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
If you are just starting , Hatch Matcher-Fly Fishing Demystified by Dr Bill Fisher is an excellent little book. It is small enough to fit in your pocket and take with you on the water.

Fats
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Oddly enough, the best book I've found is the L.L. Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook by Dave Whitlock. Don't let the title turn you away, this really is a very good text. Another favorite is Tom Rosenbauer's The Orvis Fly-Fishing Guide. Both of these have recent new editions, but even the older editions are priceless for the beginner.

Those are two excellent suggestions!

Ed Wahl
08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll throw my hat in for the venerable Curtis Creek Manifesto.

For a rank beginner, as I was when I bought mine, theres just no beating it. You don't get all the confusing technical stuff. What you do get is all relevant to learning how to fly fish.

If I still had mine I'd give it you, but mine's been making the rounds for years now and just never came back. I did notice that Bill still carries it in his shop.

Most of the stuff you're wondering about right now are covered in that little book. Use it to start, then move on.

One day you'll be lending out your copy to a beginner too.

Ed