PDA

View Full Version : Caples information request

Scott V
07-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I have driven past it alot of times but never fished it. I am looking for fishing tactics, do I go deep or will I catch fish with an intermediate line. What type of flies, I usually use some olive flies that I tie up in a size 8 or 10 for stillwater trout. Also is there any particular area on the lake to concentrate, I will be in my float tube and won't be able to cover too much water.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I will be heading up Sunday.

leemar
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey Scott Im interested in fishing there in September so please post a report. Sorry I couldnt help but I drove by it last year and would love to tube it also. GOOD LUCK...Lee

Darian
07-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Scott,.... Caples almost always has fish patrolling the area around the upper dam. Also, a good place to fish is around the inlet from Woods Creek if there's any kind of flow to it. Otherwise, fish the drop-offs into deeper water. The water's generally very clear so it'll be relatively easy to spot the drop-offs.

There's a deep cove near the resort that sometimes has fish holding in it. At this time of the year, it's early and late fishing (low light conditions).

As for flies, I'm sure almost anything that works in Alpine County lakes will work at Caples. One thing I haven't seen used but should be very good is Crawfish patterns (especially olive colored). Caples was known for it's Crawfish population before the drawdown last year.

If you get over to Sorenson's Resort in Hope Valley, they have a booklet by J. E. Warren, titled, "ANGLING ALPINE, A FIELD GUIDE FOR FLYFISHING ALPINE COUNTY". Lists all of the fishable waters of the county and types of flies for each. Small volume but well worth the investment. 8)

Have fun up there.... :D :D :D

Scott V
07-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info Darian, I will definetly go get one of those books. I'll report when I get back from tomorrows trip.

Loren E
07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
caples filled all the way back up since the draw-down but the water-clarity is a far cry from the caples of the past that i miss so much already. hopefully it will clear up as summer goes on.