PDA

View Full Version : Fly Line Question

medfly
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
recently purchased a rio bonefish line for my trip to the salt. fished only four days with it. when i was washing my reel after the last day of fishing i noticed that in the loop at the end of the flyline where you connect your leader to, there were bite marks through the outer layer of the line from the leader loop pressure from just 4 days of fishing. i have never had this happen before (small sierra trout generally dont do this). is it just the outer soft layer of the line that got torn and the line is still ok for use cause the core remains intact. or is the line ruined, and if so, seems like 4 days of normal use should not have done this to the line and i should be emailing the manufacturer? thanks for your help.
-medfly

easymends
07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I notice some wear on most manufacturer loops pretty early on. What I usually do is use them for the first few times out then cut off the loop and nail knot a butt section of 30 or 40 pound Maxima. Use UV Knot sense to seal the knot and then tie a perfection loop at the end and you have a much better knot than the factory loop.

Mike R
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Ditto.

Factory loops are only so good for so long. But, they are really nice to have, especially on the connections to heads because I haven't tried welding loops yet. For the Line/leader connection shew up the loop then tie on some 40lb and go fishing!

Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
At Kiene's Fly Shop we can put on a custom braided loop or do another welded loop or send it to the factory for a replacement.

troutbm
07-03-2009, 09:25 AM
I've had the same issue with rio looped flylines, They just don't last very long if you fish alot. I also have found rio is really good when it comes to replacing a line at no cost. As for the length of 30 or 40 lb. mono or flouro. at the end of a flyline, I personally don't like it because I feel it dosen't cast as well as straight flyline to leader connection, Thats just what works for me, Theres lots of ways to do things.

paulegan81
07-03-2009, 09:40 AM
one suggestion for not cutting into the factory loop on flylines is to use a double LOOP TO LOOP connection.
start with the normal place the leader loop over the flyline loop then pass the leader through the loop pull the leader almost all the way through then pass the leader through both loops again..... make sure the loops look like an 8 then snug them down.
this connection makes the line pull in (sideways) on the loop squeezing it together and giving it 6 pressure points rather than two.....
in my fishing factory loops still get cut but they last longer.... then I put on a braided loop.