PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake 6-28-09 damsel fly hatch

gene goss
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
The damsels hatch was very light....water temp. 67 degrees.....most of the weed beds have not hit the surface yet....DFG planted lots of small fish this year to kept you in action....if you want to fish for them....there are still some very big fish to be had....the suspended damsel fly nymph that i tied for the stillwater flie exchange was doing a fine job....most of the fish caught were 12-15 inches....but every now and then you would stick a very big fish.....my big fish of the trip was a 21 incher....even with the right fly fishing the damsel fly hatch can be tough.....just asked Scott V....I used a floating line, 15ft. leader with 8lbs tippet....fish the weed beds on the northwest side of the lake and look for the weed beds that have hit the surface......fish tight to the weed beds or in the little pockets and open channels between the weed beds.....we also played some Texas Hold em in the evening, and my wife Susan and Scott wife Katy took all of us to the cleaners. http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/DSC00206.jpg

Scott V
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
For my first trip to Lake Davis I was a little disappointed, but then I was fishing in the area with big fish and not big number fish. For a while I thought I was fishing for stripers, since that is another fish that just does not like to be caught by me. It was neat to see fish jumping all over the place and blue damsels flying all over. I was also a little bummed that I did not get to see a damsel in the water swimming, but I did see one crawling up my toon and all I could think was if this guy was bigger he probably would have eaten me. They look so jurassic when crawling around, especially when they wipe off their head with their tails.

All in all I had a great time with good friends and I do plan on going back for some redemption.

It has been a long time since I have said the following but it is true, I got skunked 2 days in a row and it did hurt a little.

Darrin.Deel
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
i like the pram on the taco

Ed Wahl
06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Hah, I was eyeballin that too.
Gene,
sorry I couldn't make it up there,that one shot of camp is really inviting.

Scott, for a few of those secret damsel nymphs I'll show you another damsel fly hatch. It's um, hmm, how to put this?
It's just a bit higher up.
Do you have shoulder straps for your 'tube?

Ed

Scott V
06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Hah, I was eyeballin that too.
Gene,
sorry I couldn't make it up there,that one shot of camp is really inviting.

Scott, for a few of those secret damsel nymphs I'll show you another damsel fly hatch. It's um, hmm, how to put this?
It's just a bit higher up.
Do you have shoulder straps for your 'tube?

Ed

Gene was gracious enough to show me how to tie them, so I will tie you up a bunch and they are awesome flies, he really has put alot of effort and time into them. Yes my float tube has backpack straps. Let me know when and I am there.

David Lee
06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
It has been a long time since I have said the following but it is true, I got skunked 2 days in a row and it did hurt a little.

Hard to believe !

Having seen you catch fish when EVERYONE was just practicing casting .... I have no doubt that you'll be into 'em again soon !

Go get 'em !!!

David