PDA

View Full Version : MLPA stuff........

mike N
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Since I am an abalone diver and ocasional freedive spearfisherman this MLAP stuff could really affect me by designating the places that I like to dive marine reserves. But it could also affect everyone that fishes the coast, consumptives and non-consumptives alike by prohibitting fishing in these potential protected areas.

Here is a link to another board regarding the matter. http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=86986
In a nut shell, one of the DFG commissioners is asking for a postponement of the MLPA impementation until such time that the state can actually afford to implement the enforcement of any marine reserves that might be made.

Enforment of the future reserves is estimated to be upwards of $35 million. This in a time when CA has one of, if not the, lowest number of wardens per capita in the nation.

If you follow the link in the thread above, there is an oportunity to send in a letter of support to Commisioner Richards, the one asking for a prudent fiscal descission on this matter.

I am all for management of the resource, but I do not believe that total closure is the proper means by which to achieve it. I am of the opinion that if large areas are closed, that rampant poaching in closed areas and depletion of the resource in open areas due to effort shift will be the result.

I hope some of you find this informantion interesting.

MN