PDA

View Full Version : What's your striper set-up?

Pete
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
A similar thread is up in the Steelhead/Salmon group and I was curious as to what folks are using (rods, reels, lines) in the local river systems, Delta and coast. Best to all.

k.hanley
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Say hey Pete,
Here's what I've been using in the salt.

Surf Zone Stripers:
Sage TCR 8 weight, Scientific Angler's 350 gr. clear intermediate sink tip with intermediate running line, RIO Striper leader 16 pound test (also Leo's twisted leader 20 pound test with 16 pound tippet added), Murakoshi's White Knight Sea Habit Bucktail or Cali's Sea Habit Hybrid Jig Hook (both 2/0 and 3/0).

If I need to get deeper I have a second rig set up with a RIO T-11 head and intermediate running line.

I've got a RIO Outbound Short intermediate sink tip on order.
Cheers, Ken

Hogan Brown
06-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Sac Stripers outta chico, ca

Scott S3S 9 wt with SA streamer express 300grain for the bottom

Scott S4 8wt with SA Magnum sharkskin taper for the top

Chris Evison
06-26-2009, 07:59 AM
We fish Delta for stripers. Until I went to the striper clinic at Sugar Barge this past spring I had two rods. A 990 Z-axis with a rio outbound 375gr and a 10 Xi2 with a 11wt steelhead line for surface. After clinic I got another 990 Z-axis for a Rio outbound intermediate line and will switch line on 10wt to a Outbound short floater. So now 3 rods rigged and ready to go. For leader I just use straight chunks of 20lb floro for sinking and intermediate lines. For floater I'll use something like a furled leader with 30 or 40 lb of floro. Mostly tie up deciever and clouser patterns for subsurface. Can't wait for Charlie B's Poledancer fly to hit the shops. Definitely want to try it out for surface apps.

Chris

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
My job is to constantly check with all the Striper guides and Striper commandos to see what they are all using for Stripers.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Rods:

Most are using a 9' fly rod for fishing out of boats.

For wading in a river or the surf it should be a 9'-10' single handed fly rod.

Some are using two handed fly rods (11'-13') in the surf, especially on the East Coast.

Most prefer rods with stronger tips for most of this fishing.

I would say that #8 is the top choice but anything from a #7 to a #9 is good.

**Unless you are traveling the amount of pieces is not important. Most buy a 4 piece today in these larger sizes so they can take them with them when they travel.

**After a long time blind casting for Stripers you should check your ferrules to be sure they are still tight.

Reels:

Any good quality reel will work. I know for lots of blind casting that Striper addict Andy Guibord prefers something that is not too heavy to keep the outfit light.

You don't normally need much backing so we use 30# Dacron.

Lines:

The most popular would be something that sinks really fast and cuts through the wind too like 28' plus of T-14 or LC13 lead-core on the front of a running line. **Come in an we can set this up for you.

For getting down farley fast many do use the integrated sink-tips first developed by Jim Teeny. These line don't cast in the Delta winds as well as lead-core/T-14. Most use 250 to 350 grain models.

Next most popular is a clear intermediate line for fishing shallow or fishing slow like in the winter time. The new Rio Outbound short cold water full Intermediate is high advised but Striper guide Mike Costello.

Next for top water Charlie Bisharat likes the new Rio Outbound short coldwater floater. He uses a powerful 9' #9 or #10 line rod with an Outbound floater one size over for throwing big top water bugs he developed.

Running lines:

For wading we like floating running lines.

For out of a boat most prefer an intermediate sinking running line.

Most new ones have a welded loop on one or both ends.

**For extreme distance and fast sinking Captain Kevin Doran and others uses about 30 feet of LC13 lead-core and Rio flat Slick Shooter mono running line. ** I don't think this is a good system to start with for most who are getting into the Striper game.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

At our fly shop Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen both fly fish year round for Stripers in Nor Cal so they can really advise you on tackle and other details to help you have better success with the Striped Bass on a fly.

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
TFO CFR 8 wt -

33 ft T11 with minnow patterns for sub :cool:

or Rio Outbound Short with bubblehead, gurgler or KD Rattletail for top :unibrow: ...

American, Sac, Delta :thumbsup:

Dabalone
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
9 wt. TFO, two spools one with Teeny TS350 for getting down, second spool with Sage 330gr. Bass Taper for the big top water bugs.
8wt. Reddington, two spools one with a Teeny, second with a Cortland sink tip, 11 ft tip I believe for getting down in the shallower areas.

Just got set up with a shooting head system for the 8 wt., Rio T11 and slickshooter running line. Haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

MarcP
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
9wt loomis cross current with a tibor riptide two spools:

9wt wulff triangle taper floating line
Orvis 250 Grain Wonderline Advantage

This was my east coast set up (Maine South to R.I) I'm going to try it out here this week.

MarcP.

Mike Churchill
06-28-2009, 09:36 PM
For Delta Stripers: subsurface: 9-foot #9 TFO Professional series with the Rio Outbound T-11 integrated head cut to 31 feet. Top water is a TFO NXT (four piece version of the
Signature series sold as a combo w/real and WF floater) with a Sage Largemouth (330 grain) line. (Haven't caught one top water yet....)

paulegan81
07-09-2009, 08:45 AM
ok you guys have covered the rods and lines pretty well.....
I use a super fast action rod between 6-9wt
I put beginners an a smoother casting rod 7-8wt well over lined mostly 2-3 line sizes to chuck the heavy wind resistant flies....

Larry Lee has some rods you can build yourself that are great for stripers the 7wt acts like an 8 or 9wt thus keeping the weight down and saving your shoulder for casting Top water in the evening......:unibrow:

as for the reel bill got it right when he said light..... your are mostly blind casting ALL DAY LONG........
and you don't need much backing
my top choice is the redington cross water 7/8/9 it is light, cheep, has a good drag, and the spools change quickly ..... they will also take a fair amount of abuse
Bill has them in the shop but some times you have to ask for them......I think he has one on display in a case near the wader room..right now.....