PDA

View Full Version : Take your fly rod to the coast this summer?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I have been hearing that there are Stripers on the beaches south of San Francisco down to Monterey this summer.

There are lots of fish along the coast close in to the rocks and beaches.

I have not really done a lot of this myself with a fly rod, don't ask me why?

I know there are people here that do this kind of fly fishing so if you are headed to the coast this summer to get cool I would post a message hear asking for some help with your fishing over there.

I think you could take anything from a #6 to a #9 fly rod in 9' or longer for wading.

Some are using Switch rods with faster actions.

We have Jay Murakoshi's surf perch patterns and I guess Clouser Minnows are hard to beat too.

I think fast sinking line and heavier, shorter leaders are good too.

I just overheard Keith Kaneko (Angling On The Fly Travel) and Gregg Machel (our tech guy) planning a trip to the coast for surf fishing in July. Keith was checking the tides to set a good date. Keith took the surf perch class from Ken Hanley and Jay Murakoshi a few years back and he has been very successful too.

I guess you could fly fish our Pacific Coast from Mexico up to Alaska?

speyfool
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
This is something I'm dying to do. But haven't yet. However, this weekend is supposed to be warm. So maybe this is my chance.

Can someone recommend an area to go try in SF to Santa Cruz stretch? Something away from the crowds (so I'm not hooking swimmers!), but perhaps has a decent beach where my <2 yr old son and wife can dig in the sand?

Thanks

mike N
06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Take it to the coast soon, it might be the last chance to fish many popular areas on the coast due to the pending MLPA.

Check the conservation topic area for a littel more info.

MN

Jay Murakoshi
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Bill,

A few years back, heck I think Keith was still a teenager :-). When we did that clinic, Keith was the only one who would wade out to a point on a sand bar and cast into the deepest part of a trough. He had a fish every cast. An excellent student in the surf zone. He listened, watched and became a successful surf angler.

Way to go - Keith

Jay