PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis

FRSam
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I fished Davis yesterday and had a ball. I've been trying to train my newly acquired golden retriever to sit stay on shore while I stalk trout. After a few well placed hot dogs I'm happy to report that he's finally getting the hang of it.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/FeatherRiverSam/June23rdLakeDavis004reduced.jpg

I took two nice fish in the 20" range in some very skinny water on the west side. I had my Dad's, who's fishing the big sky water now, hardy perfect on. To listen to that reel sing as only the old hardy's do was sure a treat - I could almost see him smiling as he looked down.

And old Woody, my golden, did a great job staying put on the bank for the most part - he did go in after a bow came clear out of the water wagging his tail just 15 or so feet off shore and it was no dinker - at least 17". Woody gave it chase but came up empty handed.

The weather was great, a bit of wind late morning but then it settled down. The water temp was about 65 degree's, adult damsels were abundant but didn't see any nymphs. Fish were working the shallows and the ones I took were on damsel nymphs.

The west side road is finally being chip sealed which well definitely help with the boat traffic over at Honker once it's completed. If your headed out to Eagle, Jenkins or Cow Crk expect delays.

Still quite a few small fish being taken which is annoying but they will grow. I'm happy to report the fish I took yesterday were all for the most part clean of the parasites that we've been seeing on so many of the Lake Davis trout lately.

The cattle are back in the mix I'm sorry to report although they haven't made it down to the shore line yet.

With this warmer weather it may help to kick off the damsel hatch. I can hardly wait to get back out...

Pete

Scott V
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I am making my first trip to the lake this Friday and will be fishing on Saturday and Sunday. If you are out and have room in your boat I would sure like to join you. So far my plans are to be on my pontoon. I will be camping at Grasshopper with Gene Goss.

mike N
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
:hmmm

I have to be in Portola tomorrow morning for work. I might dig up a few wiggle damsels and hit the water afterwards.

If I go should I bring a tube or just walk and stalk? Did pattern color make a difference?

MN

Troutstalker55B
06-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Pete,

Great report! I landed 24 today fishing the damsel, all but 3 fish were dinks. Yeah, Madison came darn near to losing his voice!(lol) Freeman was good, and Jenkins rocked from 12- 1pm in 15 feet of water. I'll be out there again in the morning, bring your radio -ch. 4.

JB

FRSam
06-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry Scott I don't fish weekends - that's the nice thing about living up here you can pick & choose and crowds don't appeal to me. Gene knows the lake - you're in good hands.

Pete

FRSam
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Mike...those notable damsels of yours should do the trick. For more information check your pm.

Pete

FRSam
06-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Jonny I couldn't agree with you more...12:00 and 1:00pm was the magic hour. I took a couple of nice fish trolling that damsel of yours, thank you, up at Freedman while waiting for the wind to die down.

Looks like we're going to have to have Madi teach Woody how to herd the cattle out of the way...I can still see that bull eyeing me as I tried to walk around Jenkins to get over to Jon's point last summer.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is a 30% chance of thunder and lightning after 11:00am. I try and draw the line at 20% - I'd hate to ruin one of my fly rods. Give me a call.

Pete