PDA

View Full Version : Lake Almanor Hex

Ed Wahl
06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Just got this from Mike Churchill. I'm just the relay to the board. Ed

Ed, I don't have internet access here, so would you please post this to the board for me?

Almanor Hex

Fished the Hex Monday night. About 6-8 boats and 20 tubes, 'toons, and prams out near Prattville. Things were very slow for everyone until around 8:45, when bugs started popping in good numbers and fish and seagulls started working the surface.

Got nothing on nymphs, but picked up my first surface fish on a cripple: a fat 19-inch rainbow that fought like hell.

Have no computer with me, but will relay another reprt or two through Ed if he doesn't mind.

Thanks, Ed.

Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I heard today it had started...............

Ed Wahl
06-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Thanks, Ed. Here's Tuesday's report:

Weather Tuesday was much warmer and winds were very light all day. Water temps rose from 68 Monday to 69 to 70 on the West side of the lake.

Fishing was very slow for the entire flotilla and we saw only a couple of bugs and fish until about 8:45, when bugs appeared everywhere. In addition to the Hex, midges, small mayflies, and a small caddis came off in large numbers. We had bugs on our clothes, in our clothes, on our skin, and in our eyes.

We did not, however, have fish.

We were at the edge of the crowd when the hatches got thick. We saw some fish feeding on the surface, but not many, and got no hits at all. (we saw a few caught on nymphs by others before dark).

There are lots of heavy fish in the lake. Caught one well over4 lbs trolling near the dam in the morning!

FRSam
06-24-2009, 07:14 AM
I was out last Thursday and ran into pretty much the same as reported. Prattville - water temps into the low seventies, bugs started coming off 8:45pm, probably 10 tubers or so and six or so boats including mine.

I was fishing a hex nymph pattern off an intermediate with 3x fluoro with no luck - fish were just beginning to roll on the surface but they were pretty sporadic so I decided to "ant the hatch". I put on a fly that's always done well for me tied with midnight crystal chenille.

BAMB!!! Took a brown pushing SEVEN pounds that took me for the ride of my life time. Made my night. I'm still smiling...

With the head lamp on I switched over to my dry hex set up but wasn't able to tag any fish on top.

Definitely worth the trip over...

Pete

Ed Wahl
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi Ed.

Weather got very warm during the day, then windy in the afternoon, then calm and perfect in the evening. Water temp actually dropped to 66-67.
The Hex came off in good numbers and the fish followed them up. Definitely more fish being caught around us than Tuesday.

Fished 8:20 to 9:20 tonight and got one rainbow about 20 inches on a nymph. My dad had one take on a cripple but missed it.

Spoke with a guy who reported catching a 5.5 pound rainbow.

Mike

Thanks again, Ed.

Darrin.Deel
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
a nearby lake is producing wayyyy better. but almanor is still good

Lance Gray
06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Lincoln and I have had alot of guest up fishing with us at Lake Almanor. Had some great fish caught. Hot flies Gray's Hex Stillborn and the Gray's TS Bugger Glimmer Medium Olive. Here is some pics. Check out my Blog for the lastest pics. Lincoln is going to be up there for the week, with clients, If I have a chance I will post some more pics.
Lance

Lincoln Gray
www.stillwaterflyfishingadventures.com
Lance Gray
www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Mike Churchill
06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Just got back home today.

Fished Thursday and Friday evenings at Almanor too but skunked both evenings.

Thursday saw great weather, good numbers of both bugs and fish. I missed one strike on a nymph and one on top. My dad missed his only strike on a dry.

Friday we fished a little farther north in the flotilla between Pratville and Almanor West. Very few bugs or fish on top. No hits for us and only a couple hooked around us on flies. A boatfull of guys fishing pieces of crawler under bobbers landed at least six fatties that we saw.

If you have the chance to fish it, don't pass it up. Even if you don't hook a thing, the scenery is spectacular as the sun sets near Mt. Lassen, the bugs and fish come up, and the gulls, grebes and bats chow down.

Mike