PDA

View Full Version : Truckee

Rich Leonetti
06-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Fished the Truckee yesterday from 8-1.... Lots of rising fish and lots of insect activity. I got about twenty refusals and one taker, missed the hookset. Not sure what they were going after...but I threw everything in the box at them... then the rain started really coming down..

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Late June/early July is a great time to hit the Truckee River.

It is the closest river that has big fish possibilities.

PS: I have been there in the evening years ago with tons of stuff hatching but no luck too.

craigfalk
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I also fished the Truckee on Saturday from about 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. I hooked, and lost, a huge brown trout. It took a rubber legs drifted in a deep run. I thought I'd hooked the bottom, then it jumped twice right in front of me. It was no more than 15 feet from me when it jumped so I got a great look at it. I put a ton of pressure on the fish as I was trying to keep him in the pool where he was hooked. We battled for quite awhile then it took off downstream, over a two foot drop and into fast water and then the next pool downstream. I ran after it and managed to stay upright. During the fight, a group of white water rafters came through. I tried to ignore them and concentrate on the fish and my footing. Odly enough, one of the boats drifted right over my fish and just sat there. I urged them to move on, but they didn't. At that point the line went slack. The 1x line above the 3x tippet broke. An errant oar perhaps? Probably not, but it's nice to blame someone beside myself! :) Last year I landed a 19" brown on the Truckee that didn't fight half as hard as this one. My guess is it was 24" long, but who knows. Maybe it was just a really strong 20" fish. Ralph Cutter says the browns get to 30" plus on the Truckee. Oh course, I was disapointed I didn't land the fish, but it was still quite a thrill.

Craig

jigger
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
:x Fish of your year with a raft full of tourists dilly finarting over it after a valiant struggle downstream. I am in pain reading your account. Sorry you lost the fish. Probably had nothing to do with the floatilla, but solitude would have been helpful to keep you in the zone, although 1X breaking, hmmmmm........ MAN](*,)
Below boca now, they come down ten rafts at a time twice a day. I just step out and work on a new rig. I guess I'm not a people person.

gilligan
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
That's a bummer about your fish man. I have the same problems with the rafters. It seems like the older guides who have been rafting for a few seasons will have the courtesy to oar around you and the newbies just float right on over your water. I usually just give it a few minutes and then start fishing again. It does not seem to bother the fish. Now is a great time on the Truckee. Saturday was one of the best Caddis hatches I have ever seen on the Truckee, the fishing was easy. Fish are eating Green Drakes, Caddis, and PMD's. This photo is of my buddy Gabe with a nice wild 'bow from Saturday.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/bettycase/007.jpg

www.gilligansguideservice.com

SHigSpeed
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Jeebus... TOAD! What a beaut!

Bet that put up quite a fight.

_SHig

Jay
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Goodness!!!

EricW
06-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Grats to Gabe on that one! Beautiful.

Great stuff! Sorry I missed it, floated the east carson which wasn't as active but still a good time.

craigfalk
06-23-2009, 08:38 AM
That's a wonderful fish who hasn't missed many meals!

You guys are right about the rafters; just wait a few minutes, let them drift past, and start fishing again. I think the fish are used to them and really are not put down by them. I'm certainly willing to share the river with others who appreciate its beauty. Had I landed that fish I probably would have enjoyed having an audience!

Craig

Spike Klein
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Goodness Gracious!
The look on you pal's face says it all. What-a-fish! Is that right below boca, with the train tracks above?

Adam Grace
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
What a nice Bow!