PDA

View Full Version : East Fork Carson

windwalker
06-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Fished the East fork of the Carson on Friday. Had hi hopes that the flows would be in shape, unfortunately we decided to fish early in the day as opposed to late. Over the past week the flows have bounced up to between 700-900 in the morning, and drop down to around 500 by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The drop in flows makes all the difference. I fished with a friend who has been doing well in the afternoons, unfortunately, for some reason he didn't put the two together when we decided to fish the morning when I came up to visit. The extremely high conditions in the morning resulted in a lot more fishing than catching. If you fish the E carson in the next few weeks (probably into mid to late july) try and fish the afternoons as this is when the flows are the lowest due to the afternoon runof being at a minimal level as a result of the cooler nights, while the morning flows are a result of the previous days mid-day heat. Saw a few caddis, but no real hatches to speak of. Regardless of the fishing, nothing beats getting out of the valley heat and spending a weekend in the Sierras.

EricW
06-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I went down Sat/Sun. Water was 46-48. We saw to ton of little yellow stones, but only one rise, even into evening. Pretty steady winds up and down didn't help. We landed one very nice fish, but while thick it had serious fin damage and must have been a large planter that was washed down. Neither of us had experience on this water but we also had limited success, only nymphs drew erratic bumps. If I were to guess, a week or two with clearing water, warmer temps and light winds will really turn on surface activity.