PDA

View Full Version : Wind Reports

Hairstacker
06-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I just never learn. How many times have I mentioned on this board that wind reporting is suspect at best?

Well, it's been pretty windy all week and the wind reports have stated as such. So, when it predicted particularly bad winds today of 15 - 25 mph, I decided maybe they're right for a change and decided to take a break from the Delta and fighting the winds all week. Well, wouldn't you know it, I slept in and went outside this morning to almost dead calm.

I think it's is blowing a mere 6 mph right now as I type this.

There must be a lot of job security in being a wind forecaster because it seems all you need to do is guess. ](*,)

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Well HS, it was blowing that 25 mph on the Delta, let me tell ya! We were crazy enough to try (thinking, maybe the wind forecast was wrong, as it so often is)....

Got onto the water around 2:30 pm, launching from Kings. The wind blew ALL afternoon and evening until around 8-ish, when it DROPPED to around 18 mph, according to the actuals from Stockton airport... I still can't believe we stuck it out.

Needless to say, the fishing report isn't very pretty... our newbie friend stayed on the conventional gear, caught one in Disappointment Slough in the first hour we were out. Paul caught a couple near Mildred later on.... Yes, I was skunked ](*,). Actually quit fishing for a couple hours, cause it just got too windy (this would be when Paul picked up his couple... LOL). Actuals show 25 mph + 39 mph gusts around 7 pm.... I do have to say, Paul did a great job getting us into some spots where we could cast "under" the wind. I cast into some great spots, missed two...

I think that has to be the windiest we've ever tried to fish... probably would've canceled the trip, 'cept newbie had a one-day license :rolleyes:

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Forgot to mention, water temp was 75-76 degrees...