PDA

View Full Version : Airhead!

Jgoding
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
My tribute to the airhead since I can't justify buying flies as I have a lot of materials...... Used SF blend. David gave me some pointers on improvements but sadly they weren't made before the fly was lost to something in the river.... I did land one schoolie on it but about 15 minutes later after resting the run I was fishing and about last light I made a nice cast got a good drift and was just about to start stripping when my rod started bucking. I didn't have good contact with the line or the rod at this point but when I tightened down on the line a little with my stripping hand and got a better grip on the rod my leader just popped and whatever it was has my fly now. The original was in chartreuse but it's also in the American but lodged in a log somewhere..... I did get a nice tug on it too though before discovering the new snag in the area....

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/IMG_0116.jpg

paulegan81
06-20-2009, 07:59 AM
that has been the top fly for me I won some at the bass-n-fly and have been using them in the lower lower I also had a very large striper steal one of mine....

1. what kind of glue are u using????
2. do you put a small amount of foam in them ??????

Adam Grace
06-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Nice looking fly, the hooks a little on the light side though. I recommend using a stronger hook for stripers. That hook in the picture is for largemouth bass not their much stronger and larger cousins. That light wire hook could easily be straightened by a nice sized striper. Just some friendly advice :-)

Jgoding
06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey Adam,

No problems, any opinions are welcome. I wanted to use a Gami 3/0 SC15 but I ordered the wrong size somehow.... I have 100 in size 2/0 now though but they're a little small.

Paul, that one is using plasti-dip in clear. I thin it with a little flexament thinner so it penetrates a little better but it doesn't stay thinned for whatever reason in the bottle. No foam or anything on the hook, it's bare hook shank on the inside. It sank at an intermediate rate and actually zigged and zagged on the strip pretty well.

Send me a pm if you want to know the exact details.

Jeff