PDA

View Full Version : New Simms Vibram sole boots

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
We are getting very good reports on the effectiveness of the new Vibram sole Simms boots this summer.

One serious trout stream angler says they are better for him that plain felt was.

You can add screw-in studs to them as well.

The new Simms Freestone Vibram StreamTread sole boots are $129.95 usd.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/streamtread.html

wjorg
06-21-2009, 08:57 AM
I have to say I didnt have the same results. I didnt have studs in so I could compare them against straight felt. Now, I am a reformed klutz so maybe I had a moment. However, I can run maybe 10 miles an hour or faster over moss covered rocks in my felt.

I can see where some rock types had improved traction versus felt but others it was worse. I was slipping at times I didnt expect to slip.

My point is to not go out and break bones because you think you have glue on your soles.

However, I am excited at the prospect of a more lasting and durable sole.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-21-2009, 10:35 AM
"I can see where some rock types had improved traction versus felt but others it was worse. I was slipping at times I didn't expect to slip."

Thanks wjorg...............I think this is an important statement.

I think in time we will see an evolvement here to something that will be even better overall.

JD
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I didnt have studs in so I could compare them against straight felt.
Which is probably a mistake with these sorts of soles. Regardless, I can guarantee that you can walk further/faster on land with these sorts of soles, in a wider variety of situations, than you can with old fashion felt. Put in the studs, and they'll work just as well in the water as felt too. And yes, I’ve tried all the various combinations of felt and Aquastealth (although to be fair not the new Vibram soles which can’t be too much different).

Add the ease at which you can clean/disinfect these boots versus conventional felt, and I just don’t see any reason at all to use the old style of felt boot.

speyfool
06-22-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not sold on the Aquastealth. Even with studs, they've been pretty darn slippery. Too bad that felt is such a problem transmitting the bad stuff.

Jeff C.
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a pair of Aquastealths and initially installed the machine screws (not the carbide tipped screws) that came with them. The screw heads rounded off and it was like wearing a pair of ice skates. I changed out the machine screws to the carbide tipped screws and then they worked ok. I ended taking those out and using the boots for boulder hopping fly fishing. Jeff C.

wjorg
06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Rubber soles suck in the water without studs. I wont wear studs because it destroys the inside of my vehicle and others boats. I own one pair of boots, I am not a wealthy man.

The only rubber that is going to be able to be "sticky" on moss covered rocks would be the softest rubbers available.....those would last me about 5 fishing trips on land considering the hiking I do.

Everybody keeps saying "well they are great with the studs," and I just laugh.

To get a rubber to be sticky and durable....that is the trick.

wildnscenic
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I have had really bad luck with these soles . I have always worn Simms boots - my all time favorite - the 5 10 sole - aqua stealth with the needle type studs - the new tread - with the million dollar screws in them are like glass on ice on my river ....

I hear lots of good things about them , but mine are slippery even in the parking lot ..

on that note - my new Brodin tail Water net has sharp edges all over the place and takes off numerous scales - I quit using my new 120 $$ net - I looked at some at the fly shop and they did not have these sharp edges - so far no respose from Brodin

and finally -- I have Tiemco hooks that are breaking on fish and on rocks - all new this year - that never happened with Mustad ...

Any Ideas appreciated !