PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review of Kwik-Tek Airhead Inflatable Kayak

Hairstacker
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to provide an update on this kayak since I've fished out of it a few times now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/DSCF0579.jpg

This kayak evidences quality construction, is stable, sits you high up for a kayak, tracks well enough, is fast to inflate and deflate with quality Boston valves, and is easy to portgage and get in and out of.

But for all that, I simply cannot recommend this kayak -- it paddles like you're dragging an anchor behind it. It is very slow and your range will be limited unless you're also looking for a real workout. I still intend to fish out of it but only when I know I'm in an area where I don't intend to go far and can fish most of the time. Sad but true.

David Lee
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Back to the Coleman ??

Retro-fit a rack on the Car and get a hard 'Yak ???

That sucks - hope you find something that'll work better soon !

D. -

jbird
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Mike

Thanks for the honest consumer report. Dont give up on it tho, that thing would be a sweet little river runner.

Hairstacker
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
David, I will in fact be patching up the Colemans. I can't decide which one is slower -- this Airhead or the cow trough I once improvised as a kid. I'm not kidding about the "dragging an anchor" bit . . . I kept thinking something was hung up on the bottom.

Jay, I hope you're right about the river thing. I just didn't want anyone to rush out and get one for stillwaters based on my initial impression of it. I suspect for the dollars there's probably something much better out there and I intend to keep looking. I'm still sold on the concept of an inflatable kayak due to its portability, stability, and relatively light weight. Just have to find the right one since the Colemans have been discontinued.

aaron
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
it paddles like you're dragging an anchor behind it.

Ditto what jay says, might be better suited to maneuver around on some moving water. Give it a try.
A quick search revealed people being happy with it on class II-III waters.