PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ready

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Just booked my flight to La Paz. Now I'll be getting my gear back in shape, a couple new rods from TFO and tying up some new sea habits and some air head style flies. I've been drawing up a couple new articulated patterns using the wig hair and forming the head like the air head. I'm going to make the extended body section out of wig hair and tie it on 80lb straight stiff mono. This should give some body movement

I still have two more slots for those who want to venture to Baja in the fall. I'm looking forward to pulling on some yellow fin and marlin. Or it might be the other way around.

I will have the Baja video ready by September to hand out. Looks like it will be 45 minutes in length and show most of if not all the people who were on the trip this year and some who fished last year.

Damn, I love my job

Jay

Darian
06-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Renee and I booked our flights yesterday (....thanks for the tip on airline fares). I'm tying too. I wanna Yellowfin Tuna (love that Sashimi :unibrow: ) This is really gonna be fun. \\:D/ \\:D/

Jay Murakoshi
06-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Rainey's has a fly called the a Tuna Tux. It's black and white. Efren and Jose said a good fly for yellow fin. Bill might have them in stock, if not, I'll send you a sample fly. Not really hard to tie.

Jay

k.hanley
06-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Say hey guys,
The Tuna Tux is Gary Bulla's pattern. If Bill doesn't have them in the shop, you can get them directly from Gary. Here's the recipe hotlink if you want to tie some up Darian: http://www.garybulla.com/tuna_tux.htm

Really wish I could get down there with you for the YF action. They're my favorite tuna on flyrod -- arm bustin', reel burnin', rod crackin' gamefish! Beautiful colors and markings. Jay do you remember when we had Willie catch his first? I still laugh at the thought of him hanging over the panga and giving us "the look" after an hour fight with his fish. Classic!
Cheers, Ken

Jay Murakoshi
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
The tuna tux is a different style from what Gary has. He's on his way back to Baja on Saturday for a couple weeks then he'll be down there in late sept thru mid oct. When he leaves, I'll be flying in.

I still have the photo of Willie and the tuna? Now a question for you. Do you remember who his boat partner was for that trip? And that's the same day I hooked up on the sailfish with my 9wt.

M

Jay Murakoshi
06-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Just looked at gary's tuna tux, way different than what Rainy's has. I'm sure both will work,
we'll find out

M

Darian
06-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Jay/Ken,.... I tied up some of Gary Bulla's pattern (Tuna Tux) for La Paz, several years ago. All three colors. Efren always recommended the olive version. Caught many Jacks and Roosters on them but never got a chance at a Yellowfin. Efren mentioned the Black/White version for Tuna on the last trip. Garys pattern is indestructible. Also, solves the concern Jay/we ran into with silver hooks down there this year. Haven't seen Rainey's version of the Tuna Tux, yet. :-|

Sounds like an interesting story about Willie. That must've been a large Yellowfin. (....to be on that long :eek: ).