PDA

View Full Version : Shad on the American

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Is the American low enough to wade. My buddy and I are looking to do some shad fishing on the American since access to the Yuba is limited.
First, are the shad still in the river or is the run pretty much over. I looking for something that will tug a little. How about stripers?
Looking to head up that way on Thursday

Thanks

Jay

Scott V
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Jay, I will be wading tomorrow and if the spot is good I will let you know when I get home Wednesday evening via a pm. If it is good I will be going back out on thursday as well.

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Stripes are out there too, but not sure if they are in wade-able areas.... :-k

We're gettin' 'em on the boat (dink to schoolie sized).... :-\"

Charlie Gonzales
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Jay, why wade when theres a boat here with your name on it! Call me.

amoeba
06-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Is the American low enough to wade. My buddy and I are looking to do some shad fishing on the American since access to the Yuba is limited.
First, are the shad still in the river or is the run pretty much over. I looking for something that will tug a little. How about stripers?
Looking to head up that way on Thursday

Thanks

Jay

Yes - decent wading many places. There are still some shad. Worth a go.

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Charlie,

I'll give you a call in the morning

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Let's see, shad gear.... 12wt with 35lb leaders. opps, 7 wt with a type 4 or 6 head and mono running line. All I have to do is fine my 500 shad flies and I'm set.
One question, since we're fishing a river with steelhead, do we need the steelhead card and the delta waters stamp.

Am I close Thanks

Jay

wjorg
06-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Type 2 worked well. Plenty of Shad yesterday.

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
One question, since we're fishing a river with steelhead, do we need the steelhead card and the delta waters stamp.

I would say YES on the steelhead card, just to be safe (I just leave mine in my pouch with the license, then there's never any worry). Paul hooked a steelie on the Sac, out of Verona a month or so back, on a WHISTLER :eek:.... So, you never know. Always better to be safe, than sorry.:-\"

Jeff C.
06-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Jay,

You will need a Delta stamp for the American. I've been checked for a Delta Stamp by F&G wardens while fishing on the American. You won't need a steelhead card if you are just targeting shad but who knows if you inadventently catch one. Check out this blue back that I caught earlier this shad season using a Surf Candy.

Jeff C.

Mrs.Finsallaround
06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Required for anglers to fish in the following waters:

* The tidal waters of San Francisco Bay and Delta - The areas east of Golden Gate Bridge and into the San Francisco and San Pablo bays, and Carquinez Strait.
* The Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta - This includes all rivers, sloughs, canals, cuts, forebays, and flooded islands within the area south of Interstate 80, west of Highway 99, north of I-580, I-205, and I-120, and east of I-680. This area includes the Cosumnes River west of Highway 99.
* The Sacramento River below Keswick Dam, the Feather River below Oroville Dam, the Yuba River below Englebright Dam, the American River below Nimbus Dam, the Cosumnes River west of Highway 99, the Mokelumne River below Camanche Dam, the Calaveras River below New Hogan Dam, the San Joaquin River below Mendota Dam, the Stanislaus River below Goodwin Dam, the Tuolumne River below LaGrange Dam, and the Merced River below Crocker-Huffman Dam.

An online map of the waters where a Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp is required can be viewed on the Department's web site at www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Administration/Permits/BayDeltaStamp/Range.asp. A Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp is not required when fishing under the authority of a One or Two-Day Sport Fishing License.

I "sit" corrected....

Thanks Jeff!

Jgoding
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Jay,

Just keep your eyes open... I think my steelhead card is floating around the American somewhere..... I just noticed my license holder just had my license in it the other day and it's not in my car..... On a side note... I did retrieve someone's 2005 license on Sunday at the bottom of the river.... Still legible too and dry....