PDA

View Full Version : Sardine Lake/Salmon Creek Area

rylcrawford
06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Heading up for some camping and hiking with a couple friends next weekend and hoping to get some fly fishing in along the way. Never been to this area so we're going to hike the Sierra Buttes, but wanted to see what suggestions everyone had for fly fishing that area.

I know there's several lakes around but i'd rather fish streams for smaller brookies and natives with the possibility of a larger fish here and there. Any suggestions on streams near there? Much appreciated.

Ryan

jayclarkflyfishing
06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
The North Fork Yuba has what you are looking for.Drive Highway 49 above Bassets Station and look for any place to access the river.Not really a river but a small stream at this point.Loaded with native rainbows.Lots of action on attractor dries.

Jay

slimfishin's
06-19-2009, 07:47 PM
If I remember right, there is some good camping right there at Sardine Lakes. Isn't that the Gold Lakes Basin? I thought there were several lakes that you could hike up to - granted, its high elevation, but I'm sure the hiking would be great. You could probably plan a loop to hit a couple lakes. The snow pack should be well gone and the high mountain trout should be hungry.

Otherwise, the NF Yuba is a great little river. There's plenty of access all the way down to Downyville. I think caddis in the spring were the ticket, along with lots of other stuff. Not huge fish, but good dry fly action and some great country.

Good luck up there. Sure is a nice area.