PDA

View Full Version : 2 day Report

Jay Murakoshi
06-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Looks like I forgot to report yesterdays fishing here in Baja

Yesterday found us heading north looking for the same patches of sargasso and dorado.
The heavy winds during the night blew the sargasso a little further north, just past Punta Las Cruses. A long ways down there. We did find a few dorado somewhat closer and caught a few before all those damn cruisers from Las Brielliees and Buena Vista came romping in. No courtesy at all. I have one on film that's 30' from our panga trolling 8 lines. A few kind words were exchanged by myself and the captains. That put the fish down and scattered them. then we headed north to find more sagasso but had to go quite a ways. The one of our boats called us and said they had "mucho" dorado and the first thing we saw was 6 cruisers head that way. I think the Mexican captains need some kind of code to let us know they have fish in the area. When we got there, this big a$$ cruiser came roaring in from out on the horizon and flew right by us. We had a fish on and snagged two of the lines. I got them to the hand and cut both of them. They didn't see what happened because it was on the opposite side of the boat. I hate to be an A$$ but there's gotta be some kind of etiquete. Here's the kicker about the cruisers....
You pay $600.00 a day for that big boat and from what I saw it looks real exciting. Three guys were sitting in the cabin and the deck hand had the rod in hand, hooked a dorado and called one of the guys to come fight the fish and land it. Actually the deck hand landed the fish by hand lining the fish most of way in. Then to top that off they were keeping dorado that looked to be less than 5lbs. Anyway, now that I vented off the steam, let's look at today

Most of the boats decided to change the venue today. We went to Boca de Alamo. For those big schools of roosters that were there last week. Well they must of went on vacation. Only a few small individual ones and a few larger ones. Lots of lady fish. On to La Playa de San Antonio. No roosters, just lady fish. So we headed out to the buoys just outside Muertos Bay. A few swirls but no eaters so we slowing motored around looking for nervous waters and it wasn't long until we spotted a school of dorado. First bait that hit the water "all hell broke loose". These were all big dorado and around 10 in the school. A double hook up and the fight was on. Bam, just like that, one broke off. I grabbed the guys spare rod and he was back into them, then his partner broke his fish off. And the other guy had another dorado on and lost that. One thing I stress is after every fish, check your leaders. Especially after hooking lady fish. The results showed on the dorado..... No dorado landed out of that school.

Went to the lighthouse looking for jacks and roosters, only a few lady fish. We needed more bait so we headed north to the ship wreck where we met the bait guys. They gave us the bait they had left and they were on there way home. Ramon asked "dorado"? What the heck, we were in the channel so why not.
Soon we found some patches of sargasso and starting working them for dorado. And then Ramon said Dorado. There was a boat in the middle of the channel and had dorado jumping all around. We pulled up and soon had a double hook up. These were smaller fish but willing to eat. I decided to use the underwater camera and do some filming so I have more footage of eating dorado but nothing like two weeks ago.
Now here's the 'KICKER". While I was bent over rail filming, I told Ramon to throw some bait by the boat so I could get the dorado closer and get them on film. I saw a lot of sardinas get eaten. And then I was kinda watching a sardina swim towards the boat when all of a sudden "POW" !!!!!!! a dorado had come from the side and jumped at the sardina and in complete mid air, head butted me on the right side of my cheek bone.
(after you stop laughing and pick your self off the floor) It was definitely a "big thud". Ramon saw it happen and the guy on the front of the boat saw the dorado do back into the water. He couldn't believed what had happen. Hell, I couldn't figure out what happened until I realized I was hit in the head by a dorado. I have a red welt under my eye, which I hope it doesn't turn black & Blue. this will be hard to explain when I get home.

We were talking about this one guy said it must be a pay back for hooking his mother. Heck, I wasn't even fishing, I was the inocent bystander. I hope I got a portion of this on the underwater camera.

That's it for today. I'm off tomorrow and sleeping in and then going to sign contracts for the 2010 season. Watch for the 2010 dates, so weeks and captain have already been spoken for.

that's my story, Damn I love my job

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I just captured the video of the dorado. You can hear the thing hit my head and the boat then the comments from me. I also have some footage of a flying fish that made a wrong turn into our panga. It's around 8" long and has a really white belly and a dark blue/black back with a wing span around 12" Pretty cool.

Might try to get it on vimeo tonight or in the morning

Dos Diaz Mas

Jay

Darian
06-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I've heard about going head to head but that isn't what I thought it meant.... :p :p Underwater photography isn't for wimps!!! :wink:

I sure hope those cruisers from the East Cape don't continue the run up to Isla Cerralvo. Those guys are a pain in the arse.... :mad: With all of the proposed development around Muertos and La Ventana, it won't be long before that place is the same as Loreto. :confused: