PDA

View Full Version : Sage z-axis 7110

cal_fisher
06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
SAGE Z-AXIS 7110

I could use some direction, where do I start with addressing proper line for this rod? The line suggested by the Sage rep are as follows.
Rio Skagit body 350 gms 120’ 27’ head.
Rio #8 400-500 15’ Skagit floating tip
Rio 15’ 8wt Type 3 sink tip
Rio 15’ 8wt Type 6 sink tip

The floating setup feels to long and heavy and unmanageable. I recognize inexperience is a factor, can anyone recommend a proper setup for the rod?

Thanks

Jeff C.
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
You might want to try a Rio Skagit Short around 400 grains. Jason Hartwick at Kiene's is the best guy to ask about ines to use with that rod. He might even let you try out a bunch of different lines.

Mike R
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
It depends a little what you want to throw. There will be other people that disagree, but if your throwing floating lines and lighter flies, a scandi head is a lot of fun. That rod might be somewhere in the 375-425 range for that. For skagit system think a little heavier, like a 400-450 maybe.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Jasonh
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
For Scandi style lines I would go with something in the 360-400 grain range. A couple of good ones are the Beulah Elixir Switch 7/8 and Airflo Compact Scandi 390. As for a skagit head, the Airflo Compact Skagit 450 rips on that rod. A couple other good ones would be the Rio Skagit Shorts in 425 or 475, depends on if you like a lighter or heavier load. For tips I would use different lengths of T-11 from 7-13 feet or Rio Sinktips cut back to 12 feet.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at the shop.

Jason Hartwick

Terry Thomas
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think it's your casting skills. 27ft. of skagit is a whole lot of line to throw on an 11ft. rod! Jason's suggestions are right on. I would also suggest the Rio Skagit Short in 375 gr.
Terry

cal_fisher
06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info gentlemen. Any sugestions on where and how to find a comprehensive guide to all this spey stuff?

Mike R
06-11-2009, 09:27 AM
If you want to learn a little, free up about 2 weeks and go over to speypages.com and click on clave.

And get some videos...take a class or several....and practice.

Mike

Grampa Spey
06-11-2009, 09:47 AM
SAGE Z-AXIS 7110

I could use some direction, where do I start with addressing proper line for this rod? The line suggested by the Sage rep are as follows.
Rio Skagit body 350 gms 120’ 27’ head.
Rio #8 400-500 15’ Skagit floating tip
Rio 15’ 8wt Type 3 sink tip
Rio 15’ 8wt Type 6 sink tip

The floating setup feels to long and heavy and unmanageable. I recognize inexperience is a factor, can anyone recommend a proper setup for the rod?

Thanks

I have this great rod. The length of the heads and/or sinking tips are critical. Think short.

First of all put away the 15' Skagit Floating tip or sell it. Do the same with the 15' sinking tips.

Most of us earth bound casters do better with sinking tips or sinking Versi/Poly leaders shorter than the Switch Rods.

The Rio Shorthead OB lines in the 9 or 10 wt floating head or floating head with a 15' built in intermediate tip will work on this rod. You just pull the head in past your rod tip until you find the sweet spot, which will vary with the tippet length and fly size. The OBs with the shorter Versi sinking leaders and this rod for me work, best with overhead casting and Perry Pokes. Switch rods are not long enough to be able to do classic Spey casting for most of us.

I use the Rio Versi Spey 10' sinking leaders with the OBs and Rio Skagits in the 450 grain to 500 grain range with my Z7110. The easiest to cast sinking Versi Leader for most of the year in ourwaters is Rio's 7' Intermediate Versi Leaders and a couple of feet of tippet. This rod will handle up to about half its length in T14 with a Skagit or 6-10' of T8. If you need a floating leader buy a Rio Versi Spey 10' floating leader.

If you use an indicator, use a Rio Steelhead 9 or 10 floating single hand line for incredible roll casting and overhead casting. (not worth diddily with Spey casts) from a drift boat or from the shore. This line and rod is an incredible combo.

Talk to Jason at Kiene's about the various short head skagits and your rod, or make an appt for a lesson with Jeff Putnam and have him help you find the alpha line and get started on the right path.

nrthcsteel
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Was just talking to Jason yesterday about the z switches and shorter skagits. Id definatly talk with him he had some pretty good info on them and knows some good matches. And while your at it you could probably talk to him about getting some test drives and if your interested in instruction since your already talking to him you might want set up something instruction wise with Jason. Hes helped me out alot with my casting and hes certainly capable of getting you started on the right path with many forms of spey casting. You could probably even do an instruction/fish combo. Kevin