PDA

View Full Version : Blue Monday - no más

Jay Murakoshi
06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I knew it finally had to happen. Since I've been here, every Monday has been slow or completely dead. BUT today, things changed and changed in a big way.
Not a lot of boats launched this morning and those that did headed towards La Ventana for bait. Then all the captains said dorado were in the channel area along with mucho sargasso grass. It didn't take long to find the sargasso and the dorado. When we pulled up there were 4 boats already hooked up on dorado, that's four doubles. One guy in the boat made a cast and fish on. The second guy was working at it and had a grab but missed the set up.... Don't lift -strip strike.
The grab tapered off and we went looking for more grass, didn't travel to far until we found another clump and dorado all around. Hooked a few and left to find other floating sargasso.
It's all over the place and most of them have dorado, you might find one of two clumps that are empty. After a while, the boats scattered and then it was just our 4 boats in the area. We went way north, so far north that we past Punta Gorda and almost the north end of the island. Grass everywhere and dorado too.
We ran low on bait and had too head back for more but the other three boats stayed and hammered the dorado. At the very end most of the dorado were big ones in the 20 to 30+ pound range. I would estimate over 100 dorado were caught and released by 8 anglers. The experienced anglers had the upper hand in catching.
Guess what's for dinner, cevichi, breaded and grilled dorado. I think there will be enough to feed the hotel guests.

You'll never guess what's the plan for the morning. Did I hear someone say dorado - you're right. I'll be in another boat. The guys are already planning the trip for next year.

Speaking of next year, I'll be posting the weeks on this board within the next few days and making an official page for my website. It's going to be 6 days of fishing instead of the current 5 days. Shouldn't be much of a price difference.

I'll be posting some film footage later this week

Damn, I'm getting too love this job - wish you were here

Jay

FlyFlogger
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Jay,
I wish I was there also :mrgreen: If next year looks up a tad more I will be. Please let us know when you have more fly fishing footage, I'll put up some additional movies on my blog page for you. TC&TL,
Perry