PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tyers....

Darian
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
The thread on the latest swap brought back some memories of fly tyers I've met over the years. Some still with us and some not.... :confused: I was wondering if anyone knows if Irwin Thompson is still with us or not. (Walter or Carl :question: ) Mr. Thompson (who lived in Sebastopol at the time) found me fishing on Salmon Creek (Marin County) and gave me few tips on how to fish it. Later, a couple of friends were fishing for Shad on the Russian River and dropped into his shop to buy some flies. The one that I recall was un-named but had an orange marabou tail, orange floss body, orange saddle hackle collar and gold bead chain eyes wrapped with flat, silver tinsel. Very unusual pattern as it was tied on a gold hook. Always wanted to ask him about it but never got the chance. :) I think he also originated the Salmon Creek Special. I'd like to confirm this.

Another tyer I met along the way was Grant King. Grant taught me a few tricks for tying in volume by allowing me to watch him tie some Boss and Comet patterns. To bad he's no longer with us.... Great contributor to the sport. :D