PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Salmon

Steelie-Stalker
06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey guys,

I just got an internship up in alaska just north of ketchikan at the Clover Pass Resort and though its mainly a saltwater salmon and halibut deal, I really want to get a fly on some salmon while im up there. While im up there there'll be Pinks, Chum, and maybe some early silvers, and I was wondering what I need. I'm also looking to get a switch rod for steelhead, so if maybe a 7/8 or 8 weight rod would work thatd be great.

Also, what flies? I think they fish a lot big flies andthey swing, so with the rod i'd probably get 2 spools on the reel, one of floating and one of a multi tip. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Steelie-Stalker

p.s. what kind of materials are used to tie the "steelhead candy" type flies. Is it hard to tie them?

STEELIES/26c3
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Ryder~

THAT'S AWESOME!

You should try and hook up with Ryan Miller (from this board).

He's guiding in AK this summer.

I'm sure he'd be happy to help you with info if nothing else.

Tell him I sent ya'.

I'll try and call you this week also, sorry to be out of touch, just been busy.

Mark

shawn kempkes
06-08-2009, 08:44 AM
The tongass national forest has many cabins in the area that you can rent. The best fishing in the area is on the Naha River. You Can access it via saltwater by boat or by float plane.

I would reccomend purple egg sucking leeches and any fly that has a good action when you strip.

Steelie-Stalker
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks very much for the help shawn.

Marky mark! whats up?!?!

Long time no see or talk to, I tried to email you a while ago, thought about calling but I figured i wouldnt bother you. Yeah go ahead call me sometime, i'll be in school until 1 tomorrow, and then its summer vacation, so anytime!

-Steelie-Stalker

Darrin.Deel
06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Just use a very articulated flashy fly and piss the king off. He will hit it. Try all black.

jack_salmon99
06-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Steelie-Stalker,

Ward Creek supports pink salmon, a few sockeye, coho and Dolly Varden. Try purple dredgers, purple egg sucking leeches, Davis spankers for the pinks. Those flies will take coho but bring bunny leeches in chartreuse, hot pink and fuschia. I use mostly size 6 hooks for pinks; 2's and 4's for the coho. I like to use a 5 wt and 8 wt with floating line (it's a small stream). Coho will show up late August. Because the pinks are thick, I like to cast down and across and high stick to minimize snagging - you'll "pick one from the pack".

Lots of cruise ship passengers and a few locals will fish Ketchikan Creek (it is in town) right off the Stedman Street bridge.

I have heard that the public can get into Herring Cove (at the south end of the highway) and fish for chinook preparing to ascend the creek. You could ask about access at The Hook-Up in town.

Harriet Hunt Lake is open to the public but I think you need a boat to fish there.

Fly tying materials and fly fishing gear can be found at The Hook-up, and Tongass Trading Company. Murray-Pacific (commercial fishing supplier) and Wal-Mart has other fishing gear too.

What will you be doing for Clover Pass? I used to work there.

Take care and good luck.

Steelie-Stalker
06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks!

At clover pass it sounds like Im going to be doing whatever, scrubbing boats, vacuum packing fish, washing dishes, cleaning rooms, whatever I can do to help out.

I guess i'm only allowed to be worked 40 hours a week, but I think i'll be helping out all the time whether I'm on or off shift.

Anything you can tell me about working there?

jack_salmon99
06-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Is this your first visit to SE Alaska?

I liked the weather: lots of rain but you can count on warm sunny days. Bring good raingear including waterproof boots. I found that Gore-Tex hiking boots worked great. Get a pair of the brown rubber Xtratuf boots - all the locals wear them.

Bald eagles are common - even land on the resort docks. You'll see them flying next to Safeway in town. Whales (killers and humpbacks) pass by the docks.

You will be busy. If you have a good attitude and a strong work ethic you will do well there. You'll meet people from all over the world maybe even from your home town. The restaurant food is good.

I flew into KTN so I didn't have any wheels. I was able to catch rides into town with the company van. Lots of people hitch hike. The city has a great bus system and I used it to explore the area.

Clover Pass is known for its coho fishing - September generally is packed tight.

I'll be up in KTN for September to guide for a company that takes cruise ship passengers out to the White River for a half day salmon fly fishing excursion. This'll be my fourth season there.

Plenty of coho come into Ward Creek-Ward Lake system toward the end of the summer: fish the inlet and the creek upstream of the lake. Lots of trails and access. A couple of the guides go there with clients. Lots of black bears.

Good luck and have fun

Steelie-Stalker
06-14-2009, 09:07 PM
I did go on a cruise when I was 10, but when we stopped in Ketchikan I didnt do much more but walk around town a little and watch some people casting off the bridge over Ketchikan Creek trying to get out to where the Coho were jumping.

Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to get some good rain-gear, any particular brand you would suggest?

I'm excited to get back up there, for the time I was in Alaska it was like heaven on earth. I'm sure the wildlife will be great, and of course, the fishing. I'm a pretty hard worker so I think I'll do fine with the work.

Thats good to hear about the bus system, I'll have to check that out.

I wont be there through september, becuase school starts at the end of August, so I think my freshwater time will be spent on chum and pinks. Is the fishing for them as good as the cohos?

I also heard that there's fishing in the creek at the end ofthe highway at settler's cove. Have you been there at all?

Thanks so much for the help!

-STeelie-Stalker

jack_salmon99
06-15-2009, 06:28 AM
I would recommend that you buy the best breathable raingear you can afford - including pants and hat. If you buy some Xtratufs, try slipping in a pair of Dr Scholl's.

Salmon will be thick in Ward Creek during your stay. Pinks will far outnumber chum (thanks for reminding me). Fish will be bumping into your legs. As the spawn progresses, you'll be walking on carcasses. It is literally a fish every cast (whether foul hooking, flossing or a legitimate take). I messed around with techniques and high sticking seemed to minimize incidence of snagging. Others viewing this thread may have other ideas and I am interested in hearing other ways to reduce snagging. I messed with dead drift with strike indicators a bit but I think the fish want the swing. Pinks will give you a good fight and some do jump. The few chums that I have caught on the White River tend to act tired.

Check the regs about Settlers Cove and fishing tidewater. I have not fished it but I have heard that people do fish the estuary for staging pinks. Rumor has it that halibut will come in tight to shore looking for carcasses. I have seen schools of pinks milling around Knudsen Cove next to the public boat launch. I often thought about casting from shore.

My boss runs a guide service on the side and if you are interested I will give you contact info. She can take you up to the White River or fly out to one of many local lakes and streams for salmon or rainbow/cutthroat.

I have been checked twice by Alaska Troopers for my fishing license which is more than I have been checked in my lifetime in California.

The locals are friendly. I flew into KTN the first two seasons so I relied on hitch hiking to get around. People would go out of their way to drop me off. Never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to get a lift. A couple of times crazy drivers picked me up and I regretted getting aboard.

Fair traveling

Steelie-Stalker
06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks again for the help, I'll make sure I look at the reg. book.

Is the fishing license age up there 16 as well? ...I guess thatd been in the book as well

I'm excited for the settlers cove tidewater fishing, Sounds great to test my casting abilities. Would you suggest a sinking line for something like this?

I'll make sure to post some pics up here when I get up there, and I'm gonna makea stop at the Hook Up Fly Shop when I get up there...In fact I just emailed them.

Thanks for the help!
-Ryder

jack_salmon99
06-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I am not sure how deep it gets out there. I have seen pinks staging at creek mouths on the surface so maybe start out with a floating line. Have fun

bait fisherman
06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
That's great, if you can catch steelhead in California you can catch anything that swims in Alaska. Best of luck!

Steelie-Stalker
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
See you guys in 6 weeks! I'm off tomorrow at 3:30 am :)

Steelie-Stalker
08-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Well im back =( . Got back on the August 14th, 2 days before my bday. Havent posted yet because of school starting on tuesday... =(

What can i say, i had a BLAST. The fishing was amazing, I forgot to get a total fish count (although i know i got 6 on the fly rod). Heck the work there is vacation! I got to meet people from all over, and one guy who lives down the street (small world). Everyone up there is great and easygoing, and of course having the alaskan ocean and free usage of a 14' skiff to go explore it and fish it didnt hurt either.

The work was hard, I worked 2 pm until whenever we finished, which was as early as 9 and as late as 3 am, 6 days a week.. This schedule gave me a lot of fishing time and i took advantage of it. Lots of pinks, lots of silvers, 1 chum, 3 kings, 1 halibut, and a whole lotta experience, and I got paid to do it!

I wish i had made a point to take more pictures, but i got caught up in the fun. I ended up getting 4 pinks out of a skiff at settlers cove. Each fight was awesome on my 7 weight. One other pink off the dock, and my favorite fish an 8 lb silver which i saw hit my fly about 15 ft out from me and took off until i got it under control with 100 yards of backing out, so about 170 yds of line out. WOW.

I ended up fishing ward creek once for about half an hour but didnt like the crowds (3 people), so I opted for a hike up the naha river and gave it a couple tries. Nothing to show, but great great fun!

My spot is waiting for me next summer when I get out of school, and I cant wait to go back up!

THanks for all the help guys!
-Steelie-Stalker

p.s. When i get my camera from my neighbor i'll put what pictures I have up.

Garrett S
08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds Like a Great Trip ;)