PDA

View Full Version : 6/4 Shad Report

Jet
06-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Joey and I fished U-rise section of the American from 5:30 to dark. Joey opted to fish his spinning rod with various jigs he created over the past few days. I started out fishing a Ching Thing in red and landed 2 pretty quick. We ran into Jeff and I asked why there was not a Ching Thing so I made it up. Joey strugged all night and did not hook or land a single fish. He was pretty mad and vowed not to bring the spinning rod next time. I ended up having my best day to date landing 8 fish all on Jeff's variations. I learned what a "I'm to sexy for my shad" looks like too! I had to bribe Joey with Carl's Bourbon Burger to cheer him up. Going to give mornings a try next week.

SHigSpeed
06-05-2009, 07:02 AM
All this secrecy about shad patterns (or any patterns for that matter) kinda makes me laugh.

Thanks for the report! Now what in heck is a Ching Thing?! The names you give these remind me of paint names. Make no sense... What the hell color is "moonlit path" supposed to evoke? :)

_SHig

Jeff C.
06-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Scott,

Joe said last night "There's an Eng Thing. How come there isn't a Ching Thing? I'm going to call your Bloody Maria a Ching Thing".

So you're a spey guy now? I started out with a 6126 spey rod and now I use my switch rod most of the time. With the long rods, the line is the key. Check with Jason at the shop for line suggestions. He helped me with selecting a new skagit head and it rocks.

Jeff

SHigSpeed
06-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Ah, I see. Are these some sort of conjoined twin flies then? Two headed? :)

I did see a mention of "chinging" in a fish the other day and was clueless on that, other than perhaps it refers to the harvesting style of shad fishing employed by a certain demographic...

I'm I off base here?

_SHig

Jeff C.
06-05-2009, 08:53 AM
It's a phase my buddies Jeff Fisher and Eric Olson coined where I would hand strip my fish in. I do it 90% of the time and normally get fish to hand in less than 20 seconds. Hence the phrase, "Did you Ching 'em in?"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks like we are having a good Shad run but the high water makes it more difficult for most waders.

I guess the water is coming down soon to 2,500 cfs......then I will go out after work.

OceanSunfish
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like we are having a good Shad run but the high water makes it more difficult for most waders.

I guess the water is coming down soon to 2,500 cfs......then I will go out after work.

Yes. 2,500 cfs and I think we'll be seeing all kinds of good shad reports by virtue that access will be greatly improved. But, I can still launch my boat faster than I can put on my waders.... <grin>

nightgoat
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I would hand strip my fish in. I do it 90% of the time and normally get fish to hand in less than 20 seconds.

I also hand strip in all my fish. One big advantage to this method is that you don't have to strip all the line off the reel to recast. Release the fish, one false cast and you're fishing again. :D