PDA

View Full Version : June and/or July good for trout streams in CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Some streams like the Upper Sac, McCloud, Pitt, Hat Creek and Fall River are all prime time fly fishing in June with a bit of May and July OK too.

Others like the NF of the Yuba River and the Truckee River are better in July.

In general most of the trout streams are slow in August....then in September some start to wake up again, but October is the best month of the year.

Try to time your trips better so you have a better chance of having a successful trip.

Another good idea is to hire a good local guide to help make thing better.

This is just some general info, not the final word, to help some of you have a better chance out there.

Now get some days Xed out on that calendar and go.....

Steelie-Stalker
06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
How what flies would you suggest fishing on the Pit 5 section of the pit? I think its mostly nymphing...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
You might have some yellow and some orange Stimulators in size #6/8 on 5x tippet if there is any stone flies left flying around in the afternoons.

Other than that we use a broad selection of mostly dark nymphs from #6 to #16 on 3x to 4x tippet.

Early summer, like now, you should not need small #18 nymph and light (5x) tippets yet.

Steelie-Stalker
06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
thank you very much for the help! Ill try and get a report on here as i'll be up there for a week from the 20th to 27th of june.

Trout Thumb
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
thank you very much for the help! Ill try and get a report on here as i'll be up there for a week from the 20th to 27th of june.

Meeee Toooo. Thanks for the info Bill. See ya in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Steelie-Stalker
06-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Cool i'll see ya up there =D. Its been a while since I've fly fished so i'm really excited.

Trout Thumb
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
SS:

PM sent