PDA

View Full Version : green drakes

troutkid
06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
hello everyone, this is my first post and to get ready for the green drakes coming to the truckee area soon anyone got some good nymph patterns? I haven't fished/tied drakes much so lets see those sweet lookin patterns!

easymends
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Fly Tyer magazine just showed up at my house this week. There is a great article on both tying the nymphs and drys. A bunch of different styles.

I have found that just a larger sized Prince Nymph does a good job of imitation.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/prince_nymph.htm

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I think the third week of June is a good time to be looking for the Green Drake emergence on the main Truckee River.

I think we carry nymphs and adults for them.

JD
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm too much, but trying to catch the Green Drake hatch just right can be quite a lesson in futility, at least it has been for me. If I were tying for a Truckee trip, I'd tie a few big Princes and olive Gold Ribbed Hare's Ears (#10-12) and leave it at that. Maybe tie a few adults as well and you'd be good to go. There a slew of fancier patterns (Mike Mercer's and Andy Burk's come to mind) that can be good producers, but I've never really seen the point. YMMV.