PDA

View Full Version : marble mountain wilderness

medfly
06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
anyone been up to this area? thinking about doing a 4 day backpacking trip with the dog in a few weeks but have never been, would love some beta if its out there, thanks

Rick J
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I have spent alot of time up there as well as the Trinity Alps but it has been a few years since the last time. It is well worth the trip - I would go to a backpacking store and they should have books and maps for the area - If you are up for it, you might pick an off-trail lake to get away from folks - some of the more popular and easy hike sites can be crowded

mike N
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Lots of brookies and salamanders in sky high lakes. It has been a while since I was there, though.

MN

lynnwhite44
06-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I fished the Marble mountains over ten years ago. We entered the MM's from sawyers bar road west of Etna on the PCT. About a 12 mile hike to water at Shelly Meadows, best done in the morning. Just above Shelly meadows is a small lake called Shelly Lake full of brookies. Only other place I fished was Man Eaten Lake which is about 6 miles north on the PCT which had Rainbows. Not alot of peaple, lots of lakes with a few streams. I scattered some of my dad's ashes there because he loved to backpack the MM's.

Ned Morris
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Shackleford Creek has some excellent fishing for Rainbows and Browns

SFMike
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
My brothers and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the MMs. If you only have 4 days, you could hike into Cliff and Campbell Lakes and maybe do a day hike or two from there. I forget which trailhead takes you to those lakes, but I think it's only about a 5 or 6 mile hike in.

Other lakes we really liked in there are Ukonom Lake and Little Elk Lake. Ukonom is a pretty long hike in, but would be a nice lake to spend a couple of days on. Sorry, once again I don't remember the trailhead. Hope the info helps though.

mike

medfly
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
thanks everyone, got a map and currently building a plan, heard some good things about a bunch of places including the north fork salmon river, cuddihy lakes, and sky high lakes. sky high seems to be pretty popular as the marble ridge is right there, but since i will be out in the middle of the week, maybe the crowds wont. ill post pics once i return

BobVP
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
You won't need to worry about crowds in the Marbles any time of the week. My favorite place to hike.
Cuddihy is a great destination with lots of choices along the route from either direction in. All the lake hold brookies as everyone has said but what they haven't said is that some of them may surprise you..... There can also be some nice "holdover" rainbows.
Plenty of bears, occasional rattlers, spectacular views and when/if you do meet someone the folks that hike these mountains tend to be exactly where they want to be.
Have a great trip.