PDA

View Full Version : Lake Natoma / rescuing idiots

Mike Churchill
06-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Put the outboard back on my little boat on Saturday, then took it out to Folsom to run it a bit and to Natoma to explore down there. First time on Lake Natoma--interesting place that clearly will take some time to learn.

My dad and I launched about 5:30 and motored up past the bridges. 3500 cfs coming out of Folsom produces some very interesting currents in the narrow section. We drifted back down throwing a bugger (me) and some lures (him) using the electric motor for control.

As we approached the rainbow bridge, some folks on the south shore below the bridge started yelling for us to rescue their friends. It seems that two young fools had jumped into the 51 degree water (yes, that is a bit cold for swimming...) and swam out to some big rocks in the middle of the upper end of the lake. Between the cold and the current, they realized they might not be able to swim back to shore.

Since having them climb in would have risked us all, we had them grab on to the sides of the boat, then towed them over to shore with the electric motor. (My dad put life jackets over their heads when they grabbed on.) While cold and numb, they were very happy to get back to the bank.

After that, we worked a little more water and then motored down to the bend in the lake before heading home. No strikes but saw a few fish on the finder.

I understand that there are smallies in there as well as some trout. Do the bass get active before the water warms up in late summer?

Mike

nightgoat
06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Good job Mike. You probably saved a life. I think the County would send 'em a bill for the rescue. :D