PDA

View Full Version : Weekend AR Report

Jeff C.
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
40+ shad over the weekend. Upper and Lower river. Hot fly was a Johnny Winter.

Jgoding
06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Grats... I just need to catch 196 to catch up to you now!

ALAN MAX
06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Jeff that good new, I made the drive up on Saturday and smelled the skunk all day had a few grab no hook up's, had eough by 1:30 and baled. Are you in a boat or on shore?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeff C fishes maybe 3-4 days a week for Shad for many years now so he is a real "Shad Commando" and is very successful so don't get upset if you don't do that well.

If I go out and get skunk next week it will not hurt my "ego", as small as it may be.

I would guess that 60% of those who fish Shad don't catch anything.

You can't go out Shad fishing once or twice a season and expect to catch Shad unless you have put in many hours/years previously and have the knowledge.

I am a big cheater because I will just go with someone like Jeff C or Charlie Gonzales or Andy Guibord if I really wan to catch some.

Try to get out early and/or late for the best action.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I fished Shad for almost 50 years now starting at the Minnow Hole on the Sacramento River in South Sac as a teenager. We road our bike there.

My brother Dick and I started fly fishing for them in the Lower American River around 1965 when there were so many Shad that lineups were 50 yards long with almost everyone catching fish.

This is when they coined the phrase "100 fish days".

Jeff C.
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Alan,

I'm wading. If I had a boat, I'd probably be a lot more sucessful. I just put in the time. I have a full time job so it's just evenings and weekends.

Jeff

ALAN MAX
06-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the answer back, I come from down south 2hrs so I try to make the most of the drive, I have to say I'm really starting to love your town, the river area is one of a kind.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2009, 09:30 PM
We are very lucky to have our little river right here in town.

Terry Thomas and Jason Hartwick were out today early on the river in Terry's jet boat.

They had a half dozen Stripers up on Charlie Bisharat's top water flies and landed a few.