PDA

View Full Version : Fall River

Big Jim
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Thinking about a trip to the fall river for the Hex hatch if I can time it right. I know that access to the river is tricky and that the hatch starts lower in the river and moves up. Can anyone clue me in as to what my access options are and what type boat would be needed? I have a driftboat with trolling motor, a canoe, and a 15' aluminium skiff with a 25 horsepower 2 stroke and a trolling motor.

Thanks.

Jim

Darrin.Deel
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
i would rock the drift boat and two batteries

Big Jim
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
...from where?

lynnwhite44
06-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Fished the Fall about 7 years ago and we hit the hex hatch in full mode. My friend belonged to Wilderness Unlimited which had two boat ramps. I don't know of public ramps in the area. Cal trout has an access point off of Island road but only hand launched crafts are launched here. When the hatch went off it looked and sounded like bowling balls were splashing the water. The biggest my buddy caught was well over 20". We used my 15 foot jon boat with a 15 horse 2-stroke for the lower river and our pontoons for the upper river around Cal Trout.

Darrin.Deel
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
call fish first in chico and ask for mac. 530.343.8300 or contact someone at clearwater lodge on the pit river.

Terry Thomas
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Jim,
You can launch at the "rat farm" in Big Lake. The access road is next to the fair grounds in McArthur. Check it out on a map. It's not a long run down to the Fall.
T.

Big Jim
06-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I will try these suggestions..

Jim

ricards
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Jim,
You can launch at the "rat farm" in Big Lake. The access road is next to the fair grounds in McArthur. Check it out on a map. It's not a long run down to the Fall.
T.

I've never put in at Rat Farm. The best fishing early in the season seems to be further up the river at Spring Creek bridge and above. Is the trip down river from Big Lake to the Spring Creek bridge shorter than going upriver from the CalTrout access? Also, because of "unsettled weather" the hex hatch may be a little late getting started in the lower river.

BobVP
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Try this fellow, Marty, http://fallriverboatrentals.com
His web site has the phone number and an email address. When I rented a boat from him last year he said he was going to let folks launch there.
Nice guy and an easy place to launch for those with gas powered engines and not a member of WU.

ricards
06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Try this fellow, Marty, http://fallriverboatrentals.com
His web site has the phone number and an email address. When I rented a boat from him last year he said he was going to let folks launch there.
Nice guy and an easy place to launch for those with gas powered engines and not a member of WU.
Thanks, Moravia. I'll give this guy a try. I fished the river above the Caltrout access last Friday. Same 'ol story. Small fish on dry flies. I did catch a nice 19 inch rainbow, swinging a PT on a sinking line, however. That one fish made the trip almost worthwhile. Almost... but not quite.