PDA

View Full Version : Shad Report 5-29 & 5-30

Jet
05-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Joey and I went out on Friday in the Sunrise area looking for shad. We arrive early around 4 since we were in the area. We fished hard till dark and all we had to show was one shad apiece. Joey was using his new spey rod and is still on a learing curve but we had a right to left flow which he likes. He was some how whipping himself with the line which he said hurt. He did not hook himself which was good thing. So after 2 days of hauling and double hauling I hook one fish just before dark. Now if it did not catch one I would say I had enough of this non-sense but It's funny how the fight of one shad can change your mind. The gear guys did pretty good on Friday approaching double digits.

Saturday we decided to the Sunrise area again. This time we did not arive till 6:30pm and there were at least 4 fly-guys and a couple spin guys lined up. This trip was a little different since we thought shad fishing is more fun when you actually catch some. I told Joey to dust off my old Browning Hi-Power 4'6" spinning rod and load up some fresh 4lb mono. We decided to leave the fly rods home and armed ourselves with spinning rods and jigs/grubs or whatever they are called. We did leave the bobbers home and fished them on the swing. After 2 days of hauling I needed a change and I asked Joey for a couple of casting tips. I always used a side-arm cast and never the vertical whip cast. So here's the deal, I caught 2 in the first 15 mins and 2 more before dark. I have to say that even with a 4'6" ultra light I never felt under gunned but with 9'6" 6wt they sure feel like a lot more fun. Joey did not have as much success and only managed one shad just before dark. We have a busy schedule in June chasing more worthy cold water species. We have not given up yet but we will only have time to fish the morinings before work as we will be camping on weekends and chasing trout.

Tight Lines,

Jet