PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Lake on Thursday

Langenbeck
05-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Went with my neighbor. Looked like everybody in Oregon with a boat was on the lake-at least 75 boats. We fished the south end of the lake in about 8-10 feet of water using either red or black chironomids under an indicator. Neighbor took 7 and I took 10- all released. Five were 18-21"s and the rest 12-14"s. A beautiful day in the mountains. Here is my best fish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/DiamondLake28May09.jpg

Darian
05-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Gordon,.... Once again you da man!!!! Are all of the Trout in Diamond Lake large :?: :?: Between you and jbird, those fish must be gettin' paranoid... :paranoid: :lol: :lol:

Langenbeck
05-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Darian: It looks like there are basically two class years. The two year old fish are from 17-21"s and the stocked fish from last year are 12-14"s. They are planning to put in about 350,000 fingerlings in June. Am surprised that out of all the fish hooked we have not hooked any three year fish which should be 23-25" but the bait dunkers love their limit of five fish. Think there must be a few 5-7 pound fish still swimming around.

jbird
05-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I had a friend up there last week who swears he lost a 2 footer at the boat. The bummer about people harvesting their limit is there are some HUGE 19" fish in there. those little tunas seem much bigger and are probably pushing 2 1/2, 3 lbs. and you can kill 5 of those. When you see how many boats are on that lake, the reality of it all is tough to digest. It wouldnt surprise me if 75% of them end up freezer burned and trashed. And schools not even out yet...

We could sure use a fly only c&r lake in southern oregon. it'll never happen but its fun to wish.

OceanSunfish
05-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I had a friend up there last week who swears he lost a 2 footer at the boat. The bummer about people harvesting their limit is there are some HUGE 19" fish in there. those little tunas seem much bigger and are probably pushing 2 1/2, 3 lbs. and you can kill 5 of those. When you see how many boats are on that lake, the reality of it all is tough to digest. It wouldnt surprise me if 75% of them end up freezer burned and trashed. And schools not even out yet...

We could sure use a fly only c&r lake in southern oregon. it'll never happen but its fun to wish.

What? People in the US thinking long term and realizing full potential?! <grin>

Eagle Lake in CA has a two fish limit and it doesn't stop people from coming from hundreds of miles away to fish the lake. I think two fish is plenty especially since you're looking at two in the 3 to 4 pound class.

How about even a two fish limit at Diamond Lake?