PDA

View Full Version : Fished the opener at Eagle lake.

andanb
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Chemdoc and I fished Eagle lake on the opener (memorial day saturday and sunday). Chemdoc had done a lot of research and I just came along with the boat. Sat. am we tried fishing the way everyone had suggested ...floating lines slow strips etc. By 10 am not a fish one. Chemdoc then called Val who suggested fishing the ledges 10-20 ft. We started looking for holes and slots in the rock piles and striping small leech patterns on sink tips through the slots and along the edges. We ended the first day at 2:30 when we were blown off the water with 6 fish to the boat only one maybe two fish under 20". We fished the next am till 11:30 am 8 fish to the boat only 2 fish under 20" the largest fish of the trip was about 24". Those Eagle rainbows are big. This was the first time there for both of us. I think this is a trip I will definitely keep in mind in the spring. It's also good in the fall I hear but I'll be chasing the stripes in the delta. I will try to get some photos and post them.

FRSam
05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the report...

Where did you put in with the boat - my understanding is the water level is so low both Spalding and the South lake ramps are in very poor shape?

Those Eagle Lake trout are addicting....

Pete

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
I've always heard it was good for the first two weeks or so in the spring and then people fish it Oct/Nov/Dec too.

I guess they will be shallow on the opener if we have a mild Spring?

I hear mid-summer they go deep as in many lakes.

FRSam
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
I know I've had excellent shore fishing in Eagle as late as mid-June but I think the general conscious is that fly fishing Eagle is at its best in October / November and even December weather permitting.

It's a special lake...

Pete

andanb
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
We launched at both Spalding one morning and the south ramp the second morning. When we found the area we were concentrating on we launched in the south the second day...it was closer to where we were fishing. Both ramps were low on water the south was a little shallower I used the trolling motor for the first hundred feet or so. There is a little more water at Spalding...I was able to use the big motor lifted way up. Once under way you need to use maps and watch the bouys. Give a wide berth to any obstruction bouys.

FRSam
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks andanb...I'd like to get up there this next week with my boat - weather permitting - hopefully these electrical storms we've been having will be played out by then.

Pete