PDA

View Full Version : Surf Report, Success at Last

Loren E
05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey all, been a long time since I've posted a fishing report here, thought this would be a good occasion to change that! I have been fishing the surf a bit lately, from Monterey Bay up north to the Bay Area. Mark Won has inspired me with his great success. I have been picking up a good number of nice perch, and lost a halibut last week (i still shed a tear each time i think of it), but had yet to hook into the elusive striper with my fly rod. Today that changed down in monterey bay.

Hit the incoming this morning. It was foggy and calm, just how i like it in the surf. Found a great looking rip channel and fished it hard with a pattern I've been working on lately (a 1/0 jighook bunny clouser that won't foul 99% of the time no matter what you do to it). Finally the line stopped hard and I struck back. My little 6 weight bent up, and I was on! Fought this guy for a while in the surf, got into the backing a couple of times. Finally slid this beauty onto the beach and managed a quick photo thanks to a beach-goer passing by. Got the fish back in the water as quickly as I could for a healthy release.

What an exciting experience, something I have been hoping to accomplish for quite some time now. Cheers! -Loren

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p295/lorenelliott/IMGP2071_2.jpg

Larry S
05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Loren:
Great catch - never quite sure what the surf is going to offer up. That's a nice fish -
even by East Coast standards. Don't see those down here in the San Diego surf.
Larry S

oldtrout
05-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice job Loren!

Loren:
Great catch - never quite sure what the surf is going to offer up. That's a nice fish -
even by East Coast standards. Don't see those down here in the San Diego surf.
Larry S

Nor do you see them in Fort Wayne!

I'm thinking about hitting (our) three boulder pool in a few weeks. The golden stones should be getting thick by then.

jbird
05-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Well done Loren. Thats a beaut!

Its a big ocean out there, any time you hook into something like that is very special.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Wonderful photo........I would love to catch one in the surf.

Darian
05-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey Loren,.... That's a beautiful fish. :D I love the coastal fog and weather. :cool: To get a fish like that one down there is a very big plus.... Congrats =D> =D>

John Quigley
05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Congratulations Loren ... I know you have been fishing hard in the surf and that is a striper you will never forget!

See you soon.

Fish hard,
John

Charlie Gonzales
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Outstanding! Good for you, Loren.

mems
05-29-2009, 01:23 AM
As they say on the vinyard, "Stripaah" Congrats, Mems.

ALAN MAX
05-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Nice work and what a great memory, very cool!!

Loren E
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the word of encouragement all! A fish I won't soon forget there's no doubt. Hey John check your email! Fished not too far from your place today. tight lines -Loren

Anne Vitale
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
WOW...WOW and WOW!!! Great fish... great photo...great kid. You gotta love it. Congrats ........Anne

Myflyzdown
05-31-2009, 07:27 AM
Hey Loren,

Congratulations & great work out there! See you in suds soon!

- Mark

OceanSunfish
05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't care what anybody says, stripers seen and caught in the surf are best!

Congrats.