PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Venting

Richard
05-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe this should be under boats, but --- When I was out Tuesday I was standing and casting from the front of my small boat (those who have seen it know how small it is) about 25 feet from the beginning of the 5 mile zone. A fellow in a big bass boat comes to the end of the five mile zone close enough for me to hit with a decent cast, sees me, and instead of quietly going fifty feet further and passing me, guns it as hard as he can and zooms off leaving me trying to keep from falling in the water.

My daddy and granddaddy taught me that when we came up on someone fishing we should slow down until we passed them. A practice I still follow, even though it costs me 30 seconds or so. Of course we never had a motor over 40 HP and could never throw a rooster tail, but I suspect even if we could they would have felt the same. It's not like these boaters are water skiers who don't know one end of a rod from the other. These people at least carry rods, and sometimes I have even seen them fishing.

As I said, old man venting and perhaps etiquette is out of fashion.

Phil Synhorst
05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think you're too far off base Richard. Last year at Lundborg's I was anchored along the wall/tulles just across from the marinas, some jerk on a Sailboat(under power) wasn't paying attention, and almost ran over the top of me.

I also recall several posts last year from people who got, as the Steelheaders say, low holed out there in the Delta. Guys just ambling their boat right on out in front of fishermen, cutting off the line that they were clearly fishing.

Seems like boating is turning out like driving, not many people seem to give a rat's backside about anyone/anything but themselves.

Hairstacker
05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I hear you Richard. It happens often enough and with such complete lack of common sense as to make you lose faith at times.

On the other hand, just last Monday, I had a guy going at high speed who immediately cut throttle when he saw me and treated me like a 5 mph zone and gave me plenty of leeway as he went gently by and he waited until he was well past before he powered up again. I very much appreciated his effort, although usually if they're up on plane it's not an issue.

Your situation was clearly different though -- there was no reason for him to blast off on you like that and I can only imagine some of the waves you had to deal with. Clearly not good manners and obviously he didn't care.

Tony P
05-28-2009, 06:51 AM
There are a lot of disrespectful boaters out there & the Delta probably has the most. I've been running bass boats for the last 26 years & I've always said that anyone that operates a power boat & tows a trailer should be required to go through a course to get a licenses similar if not more demanding than getting a drivers license.

Tony P