PDA

View Full Version : Day after Hairstacker

Richard
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I got out on the 26th. Didn't do as well as Hairstacker, but I didn't get skunked. Also a beautiful day with lots of wildlife. However, I have decided to give up on Sandmound Slough. It used to be so good, and it looks terrific, but I just can't seem to do anything there any more. In any case here is the one I managed to land. Not a great photo, but click the thumbnail if you want to see it full size. For the first time out in a year, I'll take it. It's good to be back.

Hairstacker
05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Hey Richard, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- for me, it's a huge difference between catching 1 fish and catching no fish. :nod: In your case, nice-looking fish too but bummed to hear you didn't have a banner day after such a long absence.

I don't know what's going on with Sandmound since I so very rarely get up that particular way. I too have had spots, though, that were similarly consistently good for years only to suddenly run dry one season and never recover. Never figured out why either -- just something subtle going on that was not apparent. Maybe that slough has been receiving too much pressure due to its proximity to popular boat launches? Who knows.

I always keep my fingers crossed when I make that 1st trip of the season, as I know conditions will have changed in some subtle and not so subtle ways from the previous year. If it's an area I'm very familiar with, I will toss flies in all kinds of places that were definitely productive the previous season, as well as those that were not productive the previous season(s) just to get a fresh assessment of where the fish might be holding and hopefully get some sense of what might have changed. No doubt you were doing much of the same. Normally I'd suggest it could have just been an "off" day on this particular trip but I know you're experienced enough to know better and I recall you previously raising similar concerns about that location. So maybe it is indeed time . . .

Well, again, it is definitely good to have you back. In the past, you've consistently caught some of the biggest topwater bass ever displayed on this board and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to more of the same.