PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite via Fishcamp

slack_in_the_box
05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey Folks,

I'll be spending a few days in Yosemite based in Fishcamp (south entrance) during mid June.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is some good water in Yosemite this time of year? I saw that 120 is open and thought maybe driving up and hiking some of the higher lakes (gaylor lakes etc).

I also thought maybe some of the tributaries in the park might be holding fish looking for refuge from blown rivers.

What would you do - Fish or forget it?

Thanks!

Frank Gonsalves
05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
the south fork of the merced river at wawona should be good by then.

jim p
05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
What would you do - Fish or forget it?

Fish, most definitely fish.

Mid June can be a very good time to be in the area. It depends on what you're after though and how far you want to hike. There are several small streams in the area, small alpine lakes and the Merced (main fork). The flows are going down nicely in the Merced and by mid June it might be pretty good.

Also, most of the Forest Service roads should be opened up by then. If you don't already have one, get a Sierra National Forest map.

A lot of the area will not hold great numbers or size of fish but there are treasures there to be sure.

slack_in_the_box
05-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey guys thanks.

Check this out, a NYT article from 1888 calling it the best water in California!

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C0DE5D91230E633A2575AC1A96E9C94699FD7CF

jim p
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
What a great story. The area around Wawona is quite different from that gentlemans time but still beautiful.

Almost caught some visitors from abroad in my backcast there once.

mems
05-29-2009, 01:30 AM
Aloha, I don't know about june, but we had a great time up in the meadows. Little brookies, browns and bows. It was very beautiful. Mems.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/yosemite.jpg

Jay Murakoshi
05-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Mems,

When are you planning the trip in June? I'm less than a hour away from where you're going. I go to Yosemite on a regular bases but mostly in the fall and winter to do B&W photography.
If I have the time, maybe I'll come up and shoot some photo's of you fishing yosemite

Aloha

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
05-29-2009, 06:40 AM
I'll get you some information on the area. I have a couple buddies that fish there a lot

Jay

craigfalk
05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I fished in Yosemite this past weekend. The main fork of the Merced was running very high. The sections I love to fish were class V plus rapids. The high flows don't leave much holding water for the trout and it's hard to get to. I still managed to catch 5 to 10 fish every day and more Brown Trout than usuual. I lost more flies in four days that I do in a month on the Yuba. The willows that normally line the river were right in the middle of much of the holding water. I had a blast exploring new areas of the river and figuring out what worked. The hot fly was Mercer's Poxyback Stonefly. The good old Rubber Legs worked too until I lost them all! We did a day trip to Wawona. The S Fork of the Merced flows were much more fishable than the main fork of the Merced. Unfortuantely I didn't have an opportunity to fish the S Fork. I'm sure things will be more fishable in a few weeks. Have fun!

Craig

slack_in_the_box
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Jay, I'd love to hear what your buddies have to say!

It sounds like I can't pass up the south fork at Wawona and maybe trying some of the lakes like Elizabeth Lake.

BobVP
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Oops....I did not realize this wasn't pretty well known info. My apologies to anyone.

jim p
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks moravia, It is a pretty nice place huh. I'm glad you appreciate it as well. That area around Yosemite holds many special places. More than can be explored in a lifetimes of summers.

I deleted my post. It was probably ill advised.:o:)