PDA

View Full Version : American River

Nevada Mark
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
First time poster, long time reader. It is said that wading on the American River is tricky at 3000 cfs and above. With the current flow peaking at 3700 cfs is anyone wading and successfully fly-fishing in the Arden Bar area? Would mid June be better? I will be traveling from Nevada, so I can't recon for myself. Thanks in advance.

Nevada Mark
05-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Wow. The silence is deafening. Let me clarify things. I am 51. My Dad is 74. We can't wade like we are 20 or 30 or even 40 or we become casualties. I don't want anyone's honey hole, I just want to know I won't be swept away in the current if I try to wade in the AR in the ElManto/Sunrise etc. areas.
I have always helped out my fellow anglers, quite a few CALIFORNIANS at Pyramid Lake for instance. Pulled them out of sand, given them hot flies...gratis. I just want to know IF I need a boat and a guide or if we can wade. That's all.

Jeff C.
05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi Mark,

The flows are going down starting early Friday morning and will be at 2500 cfs by early Saturday morning. You should be able to wade at El Manto and Sunrise with no problem. Studded boots and a staff (optional) are recommended. Most of the shad are concentrated in the middle river right now are are slowly making there way up river. You can get them wading but I'd move around until you find them. A guide in a boat should be able to put you in the right spot. Charlie Gonzales has resonable 1/2 day rates and I know Andy Guidbord has a $50 after work special. Just call the shop for guide recommendations. Good Luck!

Jeff C.

OceanSunfish
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Wading is not too difficult with the current flows, but wading into position that allows you to reach a seam that shad will hold along will be...... The water is high and there is a lot of 'frog water' to walk through to get to the seams and such.

If you start your recon early in the AM when there maybe some wade fisherman in the water, you'll see where wading maybe feasible for you later in the day or early evening.

I think the 'silence' you refer to is because right now there are fewer places to wade with a high probability to getting grabs vs. if the flows were 2,000 CFS.

If you're going to travel afar, you may want to think about going with a guide in the AM session, then DIY in the afternoon and evening after you get some ideas. Of course, you may have caught enough in the AM to where you just head home.

I hope this helps.

Charlie Gonzales
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Mark

You should have no problem wading upper sunrise(above the red bridge).Call me for more details.

Charlie

ALAN MAX
05-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Mark here how I'm doing it, and I learned it from you guys from Pyramid bring a ladder! no joke!!! The fish are there you just have to get to them.

Nevada Mark
05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I understand the urge to protect such a resource. I am a catch and release guy myself. I have never eaten shad so I might keep 2 just to smoke 'em. I grew up in the East Bay (Concord), but I never got the chance to fish for shad. Everything else, but no shad. My Dad and I always talked about it when I was in school but never gave it a shot. Now we're quite a bit older...(about 35 years!) and looking at having a good fishing trip on UN-familiar waters. Thanks again for all of your advice. Tight Lines.

El Rey
05-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Don't have much to contribute. My only experience with shad was down river a ways late in the day towards dark. Hooked and landed only one. After that I decided to stick with trout.

Mostly, I just wanted to let you know that I grew up in Concord, too. Mt. Diablo Hi '59, which makes me one of the geezers on the Board.

Cheers,
El Rey

OceanSunfish
05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Go figure. That will freak them out for a day or two.....

That's what happens when I get a few precious hours (for the first time this season) to fish this Saturday evening.....